P7100 pump removel & install help

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by bkoso85, Aug 3, 2014.

1. bkoso85

bkoso85 Member

Hey guys

I'm replacing my pump with a maxed out used on and I'm kinda lost on how to do the timing and everything. I have read a ton of threads and each one seems like they say to do it different.

So I need the dial indicator and take out one of the DVs ? From what I was told the guy that had this tuned and maxed out the time was set at 20 degrees.

I don't have head studs yet. My truck is just a hybrid hx40 turbo truck 120hp injectors. Looking at my harmonic balancer it does have a couple marks on it from what looks like someone might of adjusted the timing on my truck.

Is there a difference between pump timing and engine timing ?

I read about pinning the pump, if I do that would I be setting it back to stock timing ?

Hope your can put some light on this for me. Also I will be installing some 025 DVs and 4k springs and rack plug.

Thanks !

2. jimduchek

jimduchek New Member

'pinning' the pump: there are two pins. One is in the pump, the other in the timing case. If they're both able to go in at the same time, you're roughly at stock timing (they're not super accurate). You don't want stock timing though even if it were accurate, and it's pretty quick to do. So:

You will need (in addition to your basic set of hand tools of course):
    An engine barring tool and about 3 feet worth of extensions.
    A dial indicator and an adapter to screw into the DV hole.
    A puller for the pump gear.

Now, you mention you're getting a used pump, so you will have no idea where in its rotation it is at, if they just yanked it. If you were to purchase a new/remanufactured pump, or sent yours off to a shop, it would come to you with the pin in. Check it though, maybe the guy was nice enough to pin it for you, which will need to be removed.

First, you'll need to find and mark compression TDC on cylinder 1. Search for the 'drop valve method', plenty of step by steps out there.
    Next (I'm gonna assume you have the new pump all bolted in by now):
    1. Remove the #1 DV and install the adapter and dial indicator.
    2. Install the washer/nut on the pump shaft, and tighten it down a bit.
    3. Rotate the engine counterclockwise (backwards) until you see the dial indicator go up, then back down until it stops going down. Be sure the indicator is still making contact when you think it's "stopped going down". You are now on the base circle of the pump cam, just before injection.
    4. Zero the indicator.
    5. Rotate the engine clockwise until the indicator reads the desired amount of lift. The injection pump is now where you want it to be when the engine is at TDC. So:
    6. Remove the nut and washer from the pump gear and pull the gear.
    7. Rotate the engine to TDC (the pump shouldn't turn as the gear is off).
    8. Put the nut and washer back on, and torque it down properly.

You are now timed. Note that typically, step #7 would only be a few degrees of rotation, but in your case (with a used pump that might have begun at who knows where) you might be turning a lot, so be sure you're at TDC on the compression and not exhaust stroke!

A couple notes:
    A. when using the barring tool, you will be turning the tool the opposite direction of how you want the engine to turn.
    B. get some non-residue brake cleaner and clean the living hell out of the inside of the pump gear as well as the pump shaft before you install the pump.
    C. Use a magnetic pickup tool on the pump shaft when removing/replacing the nut/washer, and slide them out/in over the tool. If you drop that washer inside the timing case... You're gonna have a bad time.
    D. be sure you're using the right chart for your pump, and also that it's in the same units as your dial indicator.

Jim