Performance chips

Discussion in 'Ford Gas Engine Rigs' started by gunny_98, Jun 3, 2005.

1. gunny_98

gunny_98 Member

I've been browsing the performance programmers by Edge, Superchips, Hypertech, etc. The claims sound pretty good but I wonder how they are under real use. Anyone had any experience with these?

2. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Not a Ford, but I LOVE my Edge box with "Attitude" controller. It's generally been VERY well behaved and drivability is great. Power and responsiveness are PHENOMINAL! Back when I bought it, there were other chips that were known to surge and have other issues, plus the Edge had the configurability (low boost fueling, defueling points, etc.) and monitors to help protect the transmission as well as keep the EGT under control. Not to mention built in configurable gauges for EGT, Boost, and a host of other parameters you could pick and choose from in either bar graph or digital read-out.

However, the first one I installed had intermittent "no starts" on hot days when the engine was hot. All you had to do was turn the key off, count to 10, and it would crank right up on the second try every time. Went through 2 reflash "fixes" to take care of that. I've also seen very limited reports of a chance of stalling in hot weather when feathering the throttle at idle. I never had that until recently but it seems to be associated with some bad fuel I picked up. I've got new filters for everything this week end and I'm hoping that the stall does not continue (it's only done it 2 times in the last 3 months).

3. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Since this is in the gas forum, Im assuming you are talking about installling a chip in a gas powered Ford. Dont hold your breath for any big power increases. Results will not be nearly as large as what they are with a diesel chip. You may see a bit of increased power, but headers, a good free flowing exhaust system, and a high flow intake might be better investments. Most of the chips or tuners out there are decent, but you just wont see the power gains of a diesel with a chip.

4. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Woops! I saw Ford and missed the "gas" part. Yeah, he's right, you don't get much improvement at all in gas burners. Sorry for the bad info, that will teach me (yet again...) to read more carefully... :doah:

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member