please help with 12v purchase

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by streetrods, May 16, 2008.

1. streetrods

streetrods New Member

Alright first off, I hate to hop on this site and just ask for help, but hopefully once I get a diesel truck I will be more active than just lurking. But I came across a "friend of a friends" 97 4wd dually, 309,000 miles on it. He is selling it for 3k but I am almost positive 2k isnt too far out of the question from talking with the guy. Being as I have just driven diesels and havent started looking into them seriously until recently I am not sure what this worth as it has some damage.

The damage that I have seen is: transfer case might have some issues (he said it doesnt pull in 2wd or 4wd hi, only 4low but driving in his yard today I got it to move in 2wd but could not take it up to any speed as it doesnt have any plates on it). One rear fender is gone, one front fender is a little dented (both on drivers side). The passengers side is free of any damage. The front bumper is dented fairly well, and one corner light is missing. The plastic grill is gone as well. The oil pressure guage does not work currently, he said he had the dash out and lost a screw that connects the needle to the guage, but who knows. The interior is not in great shape, but with some elbow grease and seat covers it would be very nice. The truck also wont turn off with the key, he said some solenoid on the motor died that controls a cut off valve or something? Needs tires and lastly the radio is gone. (sorry for giant ass paragraph with poor sentences).

The good on the truck is the motor is absolutely spotless, has new steering shaft, steering box, steering pump. New brake booster and new brakes, 5wheel hitch in bed. There is not a drop of fluid near the truck anywhere, starts up and runs great. I am not sure if he fixed the KDP, forgot to ask as it started to rain and we called it a day.

Would yall pick up a truck like this for 2,000? Or would you think it should be cheaper? 1-1.5k?

2. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    I would add up the cost of everything that needs to be fixed, even the things you can do yourself (time is money) and add that to the purchase price of the truck. Then compare that figure against other trucks in that price range to see where it sits.

I always search on AutoTrader.com to see whats out there, I did a quick search on Dodge Ram 3500 from 1997-1997 in the Denver area, I didn't know Virginia zip code. At the bottom of the page you get this:

Range of prices within this search:
    Highest Price: $14,995
    Lowest Price: $4,588
    Average Price: $10,393

I would do this search again with your zip code, 100 or so miles away and look at the rigs for sale.

3. odie

odie Member

I don't know anything about these trucks but I've always found it costs a lot more than you think to fix up an abused truck. Plus your time and labor is worth something.

Get some prices on good clean trucks of same year, model, etc and then price all the repairs to make this truck comparable. I bet you end up in the hole.

If the repairs are easy, quick, cheap fixes....he would have done them himself. Or if he is too cheap to do them, what else did he skip on?

4. streetrods

streetrods New Member

Thanks for the replys. Alot of the things are small and I am planning on doing away with them or didnt care if I had them in the first place. The tires are bald so I will be able to justify buying something nice, the bed can go in the scrapyard for all I care, I'll either build a flatbed or run cab/chassis until I find someone putting a flatbed on one and get a nice clean bed for cheap. The issue with the solenoid to kill the truck was probably the biggest thing that stood out, I just wanted to list everything I knew that was wrong with to make sure an offer of 2,000ish was reasonable for what I was getting. I like some things missing (like the radio) as I can just buy something nicer instead of having to take out something that worked fine. Same with the paint, I couldnt bring myself to spend money on a paint job if it was still in good shape, but this way I paint it a color thats more me.

My biggest question I guess was is 2k a reasonable price for this truck, Ive been looking hard at diesels in the area (VA and NC mainly) and I feel the price is reasonable, however knowing how new I will be to diesels (other than two CUCVS with 6.2L) I just dont want to pay more for something that is beat than I should. Thanks again for the replys.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    The fuel shut off selenoid is fairly simple. When it looses 12v (the key kills power) it moves a lever that stops the fuel flow and kills the motor. Simpler engines, like tractors and such in the past always had a knob you pulled out to kill the engine, like a choke cable.

The Dodges are just slightly fancier with a 12v selenoid that moves that same cable.

The selenoid is easy to R&R, but IIRC it's in the 300-400 dollar range for that thing.

The truck sounds more like a parts rig to me.:eek:

6. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Heck, just the injection pump is worth $2000 by itself, as a core.

7. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am with Woods on this one. The truck is worth more than 2K, even if you part it out. I would grab it, and slowly go through it. If its more trouble then you wanted, part it out, make some money, and go truck shopping. Either way, 2K is a good deal on ANY running 12V with drivetrain I think.

Also, bobby is dead on about the solenoid. Not a big deal to change, and fairly common.

8. jake

jake Well-Known Member

My vote is to buy it. A 12v that runs is worth 2k.

9. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Streetrods, did you buy the truck?

:popcorn:

10. dieselfanatic87

dieselfanatic87 Member

With a cummins you cant kill them. Is the truck auto or stick? The fuel shutoff is easy but the transfercase can be a bear but keep in mind that anything can be fixed. Fix up little bits here and there it will be a decent truck. I'd hit him up for 2500 and se wat he says. The worst he can say is no right?

11. 46mech

46mech Active Member

Media:
    Don't know if you've bought the truck already, but you'll want to ask if the Dowel Pin fix has been done. If it's unknown, look at front, bottom end of the motor. If it's covered in oil, more than likely the dowel pin inside the accessory gear pad has come out and cracked the gear case; look or feel around the left, lower edge (as you are looking at the front of the motor) of the case for a crack.

12. socalbuilder

socalbuilder Member

Hell YES ! buy that truck for 2K.!! Like they say, the engine and drive train (Dana 80 rear if a dually) Is worth way more than 2K parted out, and as long as the electrical is not burned up, you can take some time and come out with a nice, reliable rig.