Powerstroke questions

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by CK5, Aug 5, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Do you feel that the 05 and 06 Powerstroke motors have the bugs worked out now? Thoughts.

2. INTERCEPTOR

INTERCEPTOR Active Member

Yes all the bugs are worked out of the new 6.0
    For the most part all the bugs were worked out by the 04 modle year.
    Even when the 6.0 came out in mid year 03 there was never that many problems to start with. Just have to figure how many had problems VS how many were sold.

Now there are going to put a new motor in the 2007 stroke but only time will tell

3. RamJetGMC

RamJetGMC Active Member

the new 6.0 is a good moter i would be temped to get the twins when they come out

4. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I have 8k on mine now and haven't had any problems to speak of, so that's good... waytogo

5. TARussell

TARussell Well-Known Member

Two of my co-workers have 05 SD F-350's and have had zero problems so far and are really happy with the power of their trucks.
    Tom

6. Orange Crush

Orange Crush New Member

I have an 04 CC dually with the 6.0 and the slush box with 35000 miles and have had zero problems. All the recalls I had on it sucked but I got them all done at once. I only get 15 or 16 mpg All around driving, I think that sucks. My hwy mileage is worse. But I cant ride in the right lane either. waytogo

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I heard the computer and injector problems were fixed for 2004 models. My neighbor has an '04 Harley edtion PSD, no problems at all. And he is running an 80HP Predator.

8. RamJetGMC

RamJetGMC Active Member

that is what i found to but if you have a ford 04 X it has the 03 moter in it for most of the model year and the 05 X has the 05 moter in it

9. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks Well-Known Member

I think that the bugs have been worked out of the 6.0L by now. I've talked to alot of people who have bought rigs powered by the 6.0L and only 1 person that I've talked to has had any of the now famous problems that some of the 6.0Ls have been having. I also believe that there still is tremendous potential for the 6.0L as far as power upgrades are concerned. People that are making performance parts for the 6.0L haven't even scratched the surface of what this engine is capable of IMO.

10. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

adding more power to a siz 0 is a bad idea. they have a hard enough time holding head gaskets under stock fueling conditions, let alone over boosting, and more fuel by added chips.

11. LokiWolf

LokiWolf New Member

How can you say that, There are people running programms/chips on these motors gettin 150+ more HP, and 220+ lb/ft at the rear wheels. Other than doing intake, and exhaust...they have not done anything else. I have heard of nobody blowing heads...and I have done alot of reading in the past 6 months, both before I bought my 6.0, and after. The 6 got a bad rap when it first came out, but otherwise it is a great engine.

12. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a 6.0L having headgasket problems. You must have it confused with the early '01 model LB7 Duramaxes or the Ford Triton V10 gasser..

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 Member

Ok, so I'm real real late to the party but the bugs were NOT worked out for the '04 model year.

Also, Ford's factory tune for the 6.0 is the primary reason they suck so much. I've heard rumors that you can get an International flash (although it'd almost certainly void your warranty) that will help keep the motor together.

14. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
  15. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    No 6.0 for me, EVER!!!!!!, I wont even consider the new 6.4 (same engine from what I hear, bored out therefore giving it thinner walls and 4 egr's and even more electronics:eek: :eek: :eek: )

No way, No How, Nope!

Well, maybe after 3 years of it being on the road and seeing how it holds up.

Heck, the 6.0 only lasted 3 yrs!

Cummins, over 10 yrs

7.3 Powerstroke right at 10 yrs, however international still offers the 7.3 in its trucks:confused:

Duramax is going on 6 yrs and only getting better with time, not to mention being made by izuzu, the worlds leader in diesel engines.

16. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

International phased out the 7.3 in their trucks at the same time Ford stopped offering the engine in the pickup. Unfortunatly I work at an International dealership and get to see the stuff first hand (all CRAP!).

17. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:

here we go another "crap" shooter that is only providing an opinion supprted with No facts!:rolleyes:

I would hardly call internationals engines crap, for that matter I cant call any of the diesels crap.

Please elaborate why you think they are crap, inquiring mind would like to know.:confused:

As far as I know, the t444e is an option still for some busses and or trucks. Maybe not in cali, I dont know. However, they can only be put in trucks that gvw 18k, at least thats my understanding, but i have been wrong before:D

We have had excellent luck with the t444e, which is why i bought a ford, and the dt466 as well as the cummins isb

And I6 duramax 7.8 is a monster that many peole dont even know exist.

But, do tell, whay are international engines crap?

18. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

i personally liek, the T444e and DT466E both use the same diesgin injection, and same prinbcibles. complex enough that its not in old standars, but not in the stone age. things are simple, and lots of fail safes if something fail the truck will usually still run(cps failures are the 90% of the time that leaves the truck not running, other failures usually allow limp in) the injection system works and makes power, though prone to fuel and oil leaks easily do to massive cavities, pumps, and lines.

the 6.0 is a monster a a whole breed of its own that is overally to confusing, and to much stuff to make it emmisions and power legal(VGT and EGR being the worst points.

no head gasket failures? tons leak coolant and oil externally out near the back of the head that grips down the back of the motor. alot of ford dealers wont fix an external head oil leak under warranty, as they claim that it is normal, and not a problem.

19. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Well-Known Member

I'm curious if Ford ever got the programming for the pilot injection to work. I was wondering because every newer Ford/Powerstroke I've heard is significantly louder than either Duramax or Cummins (newer also) engines. I have to admit though with the VGT the Powerstrokes definitely have a wicked turbo whine to them that I wish I could duplicate.

20. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

Well heres some more crap for ya budkole . How many years have you spent in an International shop? Yes I'am slamming Internationals engines but it's not all their fault. Thanks to the EPA we now have made what were once great engines into over sensored, finicky, oved barren with smog devices that leave no margin for error in the fuel delivery system thus making them unreliable as hell with no possiable way of keeping return customers. I have yet seen a new truck within the last 3 years come in with a T444E. As far as the Duramax 7.8 is concerned it is not an International product. Untill the C4500/5500 GM trucks came out it was solely used by Isuzu in their F series trucks and was built as a GM/Isuzu joint venture. So hows that for "facts".:D