problems with the newer dmaxs with add ons?

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LMM)' started by jeremy89chevy, Jan 15, 2007.

1. jeremy89chevy

jeremy89chevy Member

ok i love chevys to the core alright and ive heard some rummors that i dont like. im planning on buying a new diesel either when i get outa school or after i buy a new house. and ive been talking to everyone i know, even random people at work. most the people i know personally own a ford or a chevy. the ford guys piss on chevys and dodges which piss me off.but anyways i know the cummins is just a bad ass motor, and the 7.3 powerstroke even though i hate to say it was a proven motor. the new 6.0 they got ant. and the chevys besides the 6.5, have a nice new dmax out, but what ive heard are that when you build them up the lbzs blow heads and the new llys (i think dont kill me if them engine #'s are wrong) crack there blocks, this enough came from a ford guy that ive know a while and i believe cause he said he heard it from a chevy guy on a site, now i know theres a lot of dmax guys on this site so fill me inwith all the info you got please. and is this problem under a lot of add ons, bigger turbos, bigger injectors, propane enhance, and nitrous enhance?
    thanks jeremy

2. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

There are alot of guys running 500-700 rwhp that arent having many problems. Check out issues of Diesel Power Magazine, there are alot of high horse dmaxes out there. You can get just as much power out a duramax as a Cummins. However, it does take more work to get that much power out of a PSD. The 6.0 has had alot more head issues than the Dmax. Never heard of LLY's cracking blocks. Take anything a Ford guy tells you with a grain of salt.waytogo

3. jbawilliams

jbawilliams Active Member

Some of us Ford guys like Chevys too!! If I could have gotten one old enough I could afford it, I would have looked closer at them. I like the Duramax and the Allison combination. There just werent many available in my price range with what I had to have - real crew cab (leaves out the Dodge), and in my price range (I bought a 99 - no D'Max in 99). I am happy with my selection, but I know that Ford does not make the only excellent truck out there, they just happen to have made the one that I bought.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Nobody is blowing head gaskets or cracking blocks, or at least as a common problem, with any of the Dmax engines. They seem to be doing just fine and your friend that you got your info is just mad that the Dmax is such a better motor than the 6.NO...:D

5. RockRig

RockRig Member

dmax is a great motor and hold up to 500 rwhp no problem. IMO, you go much past 500, you're going to have reliability problems. 500rwhp in a dmax/ally should get you into the low 11s on the track. That's pretty good for a truck with a tuner and upgraded exhaust :)

6. ACC inc.

ACC inc. Member

Yes and no!!!:stir: A tuner and exhaust will NOT get you 500RWHP... :doah: The duramax will live for quite a while at 500 hp. The Allison will need to be up graded at about 100 hp over stock. All the major trannys will. I have not heard of the new motors destroying heads or blocks yet. Relativly new motor. The lly's and lb7's are making serious power right now. 700 plus:eek: . But you are a fool if you are thinking they dont have a upgraded tranny, Head studs, and larger turbos.

7. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

last couple guys who won the Diesel Power Mag competition were both 02 Duramaxes.One guy was over 700 rwhp while the other was close to that. Both had stock turbos and stock injectors. Not sure about head bolts, but dont know many people changing em. Stock tranny....hell no. after about 100 hp you do need to start looking at an upgraded tranny like ACC inc. said!!

8. NavyTech

NavyTech Well-Known Member

The Duramax that won Diesel Power East didn't have a stock Turbo or Injectors. I have to admit though bang for the buck it is hard to beat a Duramax.

9. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

ive heard that the new lmm's are havin troubles already. not real sure why since all it is is the LBZ with the gay emmisions.

10. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    You wanna talk about bang for the buck look at a 12V cummins.

11. Bourdon1350

Bourdon1350 Well-Known Member

12. crashguy

crashguy Well-Known Member

Media:
    I would imagine the OE manufacturers are going to make it as hard as they can for the new trucks to be modified without them knowing. That includes all 3 brands.

The aftermarket guys are going to work just as hard as that to make their stuff invisible.

13. Splash

Splash Member

Unfortunately I believe the OE manufactures have figured out a way to tell if the truck has had a tuner, even if removed this way when something blows they can say, welp you voided your warranty when you put that tuner in, sorry. I know Ford is supposed to have something that when a tuner is added it does something to the PCM or ECM that can only be reversed with a new PCM or ECM. And the other two are always trying to stay ahead or just with the rest, so it is only common sense that they do something similar. Just what I have heard and believe.

14. jeremy89chevy

jeremy89chevy Member

my buddy has a 6.0 ford with a chip and blew his heads. so he took the chip out for a while and he got it warrentied. all u gota do is disconect the battery and it pulls that code. just say u were doing something and disconected the battery. thats how he did it
    :pimp: