Prodigy vs Voyager...

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Jun 23, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Over the last couple of years we have bought two used pickups and one F600 service truck and all three coincidentely have a Voyager. The F600 never pulls anything so my dad said I could have the Voyager in it since I don't have a controller for my pickup yet and need one.

Is the Prodigy that much better than the Voyager? Is it worth spending the $100 for the Prodigy over basically a free Voyager? I would have to buy the Dodge wiring harness regardless of model.

2. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    The sheer fact of not having to deal with "leveling" the Prodigy everytime you hook up a new load is priceless to me. It is a great controller, and I find the "boost" feature to be nice as well, especially in terms of saving my truck brakes a little bit of work. I wouldnt think twice about getting rid of one of the Voyagers for a Prodigy.

3. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ive got a couple of Voyagers as well. I am currently running one in My tow rig. I think that it works OK. I have towed a number of trailers with it and I can always stop. I would like to upgrade it one day. I say put it on and tow with it for a while and see how you like it. You may decide that it works fine for your needs and keep it and then youve saved $100.

-Brent

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Does your rig have a harness for a BrakeController under your dash?
    If you do and the freebee will hook up to it, give it a try. Maby it will befine..Ifn you no likey...spend the cash ona new one. I got the Jordan so everytime I press on the pedal the brakes go on..weather I am moving or not(no enrsia when you are stoped...)
    Burt

5. FordCummins1

Media:
    My Prodigy shows a current anywhere from 1.2 to 4.5 or so when I am at a stop and press on the pedal. Even though no inertia is present, I know that my brakes are applied on the trailer, as I can hear them working if I am standing next to them when someone applies the brake.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Cool, thanks. I ASSumed with no enersia you ain't got brakes. Ok now that I think about it the prodigy hooks to the brake light switch right? and you can set a % of starting voltage to be more or less brakes right ?
    Everyone that runs a Prodigy allways has good comments about em so dey must be good... waytogo

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes I do, I just need the wire harness for my dodge specifically that goes from the controller to the brake plug port on my truck. Or at leaest that is what I gathered when I was reading up on the prodigy. It said a wire harness would be needed for each brand, probably just the right plug at the end of the wires for each brand, which I would imagine isn't a standard plug.

8. FordCummins1

Media:
    You are correct, the Big 3 all use different in cab plugs for the brake controller. A trailer dealer like www.rjays.com sells these at a very reasonable price.

9. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

Maybe you'll get lucky and the same jumper cable would work with either controler. If so didn't you say your dad had a prodigy on his? Try it both ways and see which you can live with.

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    :UPDATE:

I removed the Voyager from our F600 and installed it in my truck. I had to get the big tail plug, which has bare wires at one end and the manuf. plug at the other end that plugs into the truck. From there I wired a universal 4 prong female plug at the end of the pig tail, and wired the male end of my universal plug onto the controller's wires. I put a matching female univ. plug back into the F600 so now I can just leave my pig tail in, unplug the universal plug, and reinstall the Voyager into either two vehicles.

I'll get to test it out today because I have to haul a load of scrap metal in this afternoon. THe real test will be going to blazerfest next Thursday with the K5 loaded on. waytogo

11. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Well?

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, it worked fairly good but I wasn't really impressed with it or anything. I would say it's a darned simple controller that works well. I like how the light gets redder the more power it puts to the brakes. It worked ok for me but I don't think my brakes on my trailer are in all that great of shape and the trailer was at max weight.

I'll get to compare it to the Prodigy in a few months when the snow starts flying. Our snowmobile trailer has excellent brakes and I've ridden/driven my dad's Prodigy equipped burb many times so I'll know how they compare.