Receiver Question!

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by diesel250, Jun 24, 2005.

1. diesel250

diesel250 Member

Im new to towing and I looked at the stock hitch and it can only tow 5,000 Gross Trailer Weight carrying. I am looking for a reciever to be able to handle a 12,000 Lbs. trailer weight carrying for a 2005 Ford F-350 to tow a dump trailer. Is there one out there? Thanks for your help.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Um, I may be wrong here but are you sure that doesn't mean tongue weight? The stock reciever on a 2005 F350 should be able to pull WAY more than 5K. It's probably more like 15K. You should be fine with the stock reciever pulling a trailer that weighs 12.5K

3. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    ALmost all hitches are rated for 5k or so unless you use a WD setup. My '05 F-350 has the 2.5" hitch, it's rated for 5k without and 15k with a WD system.

4. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Id look into something like the Reese Titan hitch, which is very similar to the 2.5" Ford receiver Shaggy described. It is very HD, and rated for 12k as a weight CARRYING hitch, so no WD setup is needed.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I put the Titan Class V 2.5" on my Silverado and it is VERY HD! Fn Sweet! I love all that steel BEEF!
    I did buy a WD setup (Reese Straight-Line) but I am not using it until I get a slide in camper. My maiden voyage was awsome with the Reese Titan keeping me connected to my trailer waytogo

6. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I personally dont care for the look of the Titan. We have a custom hitch builder around here called Eckharts trailer hitches (http://www.eckharts.com/) that builds hitches up to 15k CARRYING for about the same price as a Titan. they build them when you bring your truck in and then they weld it to your frame. They also do custom stuff like hidden elec. connecters and stuff. The hitches are well built and are tucked up underneath your bumper real tight so that they are not obtrusive. Just something to think about. Maybe there is something similar in your area.

-Brent

7. chevytrucknut

chevytrucknut Well-Known Member

hey if you want a good looking pulling bumper buy a DMI Quic-Cush'n" 2 they abosorb shock and make your pull a lot better while saving your drive train you can get them painted or buy a chrome one.or the quic an Easy hitch there good to heres the link

http://www.unitedtruckparts.com/