Sharing some info I learned about trailer to towrig plug adapters>>>

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by Burt4x4, May 24, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

So this is the critter that I am using to hook my GM 7 pin to the 6 pin on my trailer. On Sunday I could not get my Jordan Brake controler to 'find' the trailer, no connectivity or Green light. SO all day yesterday I researched what the heck could be wrong. I called Jordan & PJ Trailers. Jordan confirmed I had the GM harness conected to the jordan just fine. PJ faxed me the wireing pinout for their 6 pin. Found the trailer wire on my GM is at position 5'oclck. Blue wire is always the Trailer Brake, aparently the only standard out there, everyone uses Blue.

So I find out that stupid adpter above was not lining up the Blue wires. Then I read a foot note on one of the websites selling the same adpter..it said ADJUSTABLE :eek:
    So I opend up the adpter and sure enough, a set screw holding the blue wire to the center pin. PJ uses one of the side pins for their Blue wire. Also inside was a black wire with the same set screw post. SO I swaped the Blue and Black wires, tighted the set screw to hold the wires inplace. Hooked up my rig & trailer and now I have a green light !!!!
    YYYYYYAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo
    So FYI the above adapter is ADJUSTABLE!!!! :doah: :doah: :doah:

2. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Trailer wiring problems are some of the most frustrating things to deal with. Thanks for the info. I try and run the standard 7pin for everything, but if Im towing someone elses trailer I always carry a bunch of wire, and a ton of adapters, cause you never know whats gonna happen.

3. Burt4x4

Media:
    Ya from all the folks I talked to it sounds like most all are going to a 7 pin standard. PJ that makes my trailer is also switching to 7pin standards.

4. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Yeah, the trailer wiring folks all have the proverbial head up their you-know-what. Never had a standard at all in 6 pin, though there are 2 major pin-outs that cover something like 90%. Even on the "standard" 7 pin there are 2 possible pin-outs, but they are separated by classification so it's not quite as bad. I've got a hand full of adapters that can be opened to rewire as needed.

5. Burt4x4

Media:
    hahaha i'm have two adapters now...and I don't want any more rotfl
    its a money racket, all the adpter makers would be outa work if they set a standard...so that means we the consumers are forever needing adapters.... :doah:

6. miniwally

miniwally Well-Known Member

I have run into this so many times it hurts to think about it.
    Here is what I have learned.
    There are two "standard" 6 round plug configurations.
    The brake is the change between the two.
    One Standard calls for the brakes to be on the center pin of the plug.
    The other standard calls for the brake to be one of the outside pins on the plug.
    If you look at the markings by the pins the brake is meant to be on the outside row not the center.
    The center is meant to be for aux. power and in most case when hooking up to a trailer with a center pin brake and a truck with center pin aux. power the brakes lock up until the trailer is unplugged.

I belive that the center pin brake thing is what I call the agricultural wiring as it seems most horse trailers etc. are wired that way.
    The outside pin brake is the "new" standard and is an equipment trailer type of thing.

Bottom line is they sell two different adapters to go from the RV 7 round to the 6 round plug. I had to get both as I end up towing different peoples trailers around and they all are wired different.

That is my knowledge gained over many trailer wiring issues.
    By the way people that tow tralers in the winter on raods that get de icers will go through trailer wiring every year. The corrosion plays hell with my trailer lights wvery winter and in the spring I usually end up replacing the trailer plug and redoing several connections.
    I put the trailer on saw horses this year and went through every connection and shrink wraped and tapped them good. Maybe I fixed the under the trailer issues.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I use the same adapter you bought Burt, my truck has a 7 pin plug but all our trailers except our 2004 Snomobile trailer are 6 prong. Seems most of the trailers today are going to 6 or seven prong. All but one of our trailers are homemade, well professionally home made. My dad used to build trailers for people for a living, anyway he always used 6 pin plugs. I'd like to wire my truck with both a 6 and 7 prong plugs so I can pull any trailer on the ranch without any adapters.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    Anyone ever encounter back in '92 when ford decided to use their own trailer plug design with round pins in their tow package plug instead if the flat spade style? I had to change every trailer, camper, and tow vehicle we had to that style because I wasn't allowed to change the socket on my in-laws (read: bosses) new bronco. We couldn't tow anything that wasn't ours without an adapter. :rolleyes: