Smarty Jr. installed

Discussion in 'General Tow Rig Discussion' started by Rob Knoell, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I installed the smarty jr. in my truck. But, first I need to say thanks to all those involved with this site. Thanks for giving me the chance to win and a big thank you to Mr. Wagner. He is a real class act. Not only did he send it out to me but he also would not let me pay for the shipping on the package. He also sent a candy bar with the downloader for me to eat while I sat and let the Smarty Jr. do its job. Mr. Wagner, a real CLASSY fella'.

Now, I installed the performance setting (100 hp) first and was looking for some mpg increase along with the power. I went down to Santa Fe from my home town of Los Alamos and back to check the mileage. No differance on the mileage but a nice increase with the power. Very noticable. There was also a very noticable increase in smoke out the tail pipes. This is not something that I was expecting. In fact after my trip my fenders are all black from the tail pipes. I also installed the other two programs and will be running the lowest setting (40 hp) for then next week or so to see if there is a mpg increase with that setting. I will report back when I have more information. The other thing that I did not really want is that now my idle rpm's are higher. Stock they were at 750 rpm's and now they are at 825 rpm's. I installed the stock program back into the truck and I still have the rpm's at 825. I am now looking at how to lower them back to the stock setting.

Now I am looking at how to get rid of the soot. What do y'all suggest? New air intake manifold? New exhaust manifold? Ditch the cat? What? I have an AFE stage II and a MBRP dual 4" exhaust already.

Thanks,
    LT.

2. Rob Knoell

I just finished the loop again and this time it was with the lowest setting (40 hp). I figured the mileage at 21.9 mpg and when figured with the larger tires it comes out to 24.09 mpg. This is an increase in mileage. Not much, but it is better than it was. This may end up as the setting the truck will run in for most of the times. I still want to lower the idle rpm's back to where they were stock (750 rpm's vs. the now 825 to 850 rpm's). I wonder if there is a way to do it. If anybody knows how please let me know. I am still looking for a way to clean up some of the soot leaving the tail pipes. Any ideas?

LT.

3. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Need either less fuel or more oxygen to reduce the smoke... so either leave the chip in the lower settings or get a different turbo.

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    The Smarty automatically updates your factory ECM with the latest software, so after you remove a Smarty, it leaves the latest updates. Most likely, There is updated programming that happens to have a slightly higher idle.

5. Rob Knoell

After driving my rig for about a week now and expermenting with the different settings I have found the setting that I love. At first I installed the 100 hp setting and found that I was really pouring out the black smoke. I also found that my clutch will not handle it. I have been running the lowest setting (40 hp) and have found a slight power increase and a slight increase in fuel mileage. Love the extra mileage now the fuel has hit an all time high of $4.06 a gallon. I really like the way the truck handles the power and I am really starting to appriciate the extra power. It is mild but I really like the way the truck drives now. Better throttle response more crisp with the fuel and very slight hint of black smoke. I wish that I had my trailer so that I could see just how well the truck does now loaded. I will just have to wait and see. Thanks again for the oppurtunity to win a FANTASTIC product!!!

LT.

6. Bob Wagner

Bob Wagner Member

why not try the tow setting (70 hp)? That could improve your fuel economy too.

7. Rob Knoell

I had tried it but not a whole lot. I did not like the extra smoke that the truck was dumping out of the tail pipes. The economy setting (40 hp) seems to work the best for my driving style, for now anyways. I am very impressed with the Smarty Jr. on this setting. And thanks again for being such a great fella'!

LT.