Stacks - Cat or no cat ????Please help!

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by xtremekustomz, Feb 15, 2008.

1. xtremekustomz

xtremekustomz Member

I've got an 06 f-350 dually and i have heard so much from diffrent people on the cat issue. Im putting on 6inch dual stacks and am wondedring if i should take out the cat or just leave it in? Will it make a big diffrence to the power and sound or not. I live in canada so we have pretty tough emission laws, so im not sure what to do. People also say it can hurt the motor to not have any back pressure at all is this true ?

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I don't know that it will hurt your motor or not. By getting rid of the Cat the exhaust will be a little cooler. There will be very little performance gain by getting rid of the cat and if your laws are strict you may be illegal to boot. Tough question to answer, I guess if it was me I would leave it in for now. It is easier to remove than to replace. As for the sound I don't think that it will make a difference. You are already going to have a louder exhaust by installing the stacks anyhow.

LT.

3. xtremekustomz

xtremekustomz Member

thanks for the response, i guess i'll leave it in. How much louder will the stacks be compared to the banks monster exhaust, because it wasn't very loud.

4. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I don't have stacks on my rig, but, I have been in a truck that has stacks. I think that the stacks are louder due to where they exit at. The exit point is behind your head as opposed to behind the truck at knee level. One friend of mine had his stacks straight piped and it was too loud for him. He ended up putting a muffler on it. Now he says he likes it. To answer your question about how much louder it will be verses the Banks Monster exhaust is going to depend on if you muffle it or not. The biggest diffrence in how loud it will be may just be due to the exit point and your position to it. There are some sound clips on the MBRP exhaust web site. The stacks don't seem to be much louder than the other exhaust systems. But, I can tell you that my friends truck with the stacks is louder in the cab than mine with the dual 4" behind the wheels. Hope this helps.

LT.

5. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I don't have stacks but my truck is straight piped. The 6.0 is one of the few motors tat can be straight piped. I will be doing stack soon and will not be using a muffler.

6. reddragon4x4

reddragon4x4 Well-Known Member

I'm straight piped and it is awesome. It doesn't sound like a cummins or anything. Still fairly quiet unless you stand on it then you get a nice roarwaytogo . Mileage will increase a little. Nice turbo sound through the exhaust too. I kept mine though in case I ever need to put it back on if I ever get stationed in one of those "green" states:doah:

7. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I just did dual 5' silverline stacks straigt piped and love the sound. Lots of whistle from the turbo and a great rumble. On the highway the noise isn't an issue cruising a 70 mph.

8. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I do not know about the Powerstrokes, but I do not believe that removing the cat will have any adverse affects.

It will not get much louder, but you will be able to hear the turbo through the exhaust a bit more, and your exhaust temps. will stay lower; which will help out quite a bit if you have a chip.