Straping/Binding my blazer to my trailer??

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by Burt4x4, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I see some folks use thoes big yellow ratchet straps and some use chain with binders like you see on the back of bigrig flatbeds.

I would guess the chain would last alot longer than ratchet straps?

Is one better than the other?

Wich do you prefer and why?

I was a "yard boy" at a construction co. when I was a teenager and I remember using chain w/binders. The binder style we used was the type you put a tube bar on the handel then pull the handel over until it slung into place. Is this style better than the ratcheting style?

With my trailer on order I need to "gear up" so I can be ready to go when it arrives.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I think that I read somewhere that chains are required in CA, but I see people using straps all the time, so :confused: .

3. Burt4x4

Media:
    Hmmm, never thought there would be a law for it.
    I know Frizz just uses yellow straps, or the last time I saw him he did...

Anyone :popcorn:

4. FaC

FaC New Member

I have used both. When we were pulling the race car (LMSC) we would use a strap over each wheel. I have also hauled tractors and combines and used chains and snap-over binders on those.

In your case, I would probably use good chain and binders. One thing you may want to look for are the inserts that go into the oblong holes in the frame and have a grab hook that one end of the chain goes into - this is how they are tied down when they are hauled from the factory. I have never used the ratchet binders but I want to take a look at them sometime...

I have always used a cheater to close the binder - if you can close it by hand it is probably not tight enough. When it is closed, I use a piece of wire thru the hole in the binder handle to tie it back to the taunt chain to keep it from snapping open.

FWIW - FaC

5. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I use 10k black ratchet straps made specifically for tying down vehicles. They have axle loops with heavy braided nylon "wear sleeves" to protect the actual strap from abrasion and the ratchet straps are much heavier than normal with locking handles and hooks. On my trailer I have 9/16 CR bar stock welded in double shear at 4 corners of my trailer and tie the axles down there. I *LOVE* this setup. I can unload and load in minutes with a helper, slightly longer solo.

Previously I used chains and they are heavy and slow to get hooked up compared to the straps. Of course they were long general purpose chains and it would have been easier and quicker if cut to the length needed. But even then they would have taken longer to adjust and tighten with binders.

6. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I second the straps method for tying down vehicles. It is a much lighter and faster way to strap down, but just as safe and strength is definitely not a concern for vehicle applications, as any good strap will be plenty strong for this. There are some die hard chain users out there, but short of hauling construction equipment, or sharp edged metal, I think straps are a great way to go.

7. Burt4x4

Media:
    Cool thanks guys
    Hey BadDog ~ Do you have an online resource were I can see your black straps? Sound interesting. Oh and do you happen to have a pic of your ancor points on your trailer you were talking about?

Thanks again, I can see how working with straps would be a bit easier waytogo

Burt

8. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
    I use 4 chains, 2 on each axle with the ratcheting binders. I don't like the hasp style binders because they can pop open if you don't put a zip tie or something around them...

As far as straps, I usually run 2 10k pound straps, one on each side of the truck to control body roll and after about 5 trips 2 have already broken, most of the time when hitting big bumps and the chevy bounces around. I think my truck is just too hefty for 10k straps... Thats why I use the chains.

I also have the truck in 4lo with the parking brake set fully to help keep it from going anywhere. Haven't had a problem yet... I just stop after the first 20 miles or so to snug up the chains since they settle and after that I'm good to go.

9. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    There's a place in San Jose that will custom make straps for you in whatever configuration you want. I think I paid 60 bucks for mine when I towed my Sandrail. Really cool place, they make them while you wait, you can actually watch them use the HUGE sewing machine. :D You can pick out your end hardware, what kind of latches and hooks you want, if you want a sleeve to protect from chafing, etc.

Their business is generally making rigging for cranes and such, so they had a good time making some custom stuff for me. Nice guys.

I use straps and hook a highway grade chain to the front axle just in case the straps let loose. I believe that's what the law is - you need a safety chain. The straps I used were rated at I think 20 or 30k. They were big mofos for sure. In fact, if you want them on perma-borrow Shaggy, I have no real use for them anymore since Jake sold his truck.

Marc

10. Burt4x4

Media:
    I read were some guys use ratchet straps on all 4 corners then put a 'safety' chain on the rear axel incase of slamming on the brakes hard and keeping the rig from slaming into the towrig if the starps were to fail. Seams like a good idea/insurance.

11. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    This is what I have and the price has even come down. 2 rear in a "V" centered on the diff, 2 front in a wider "V" separated by several feet on the axle. Rear handles some side to side but is mostly to handle "braking" loads so the trailer points are only about 2.5 feet apart, but the "V" is still enough to control the side to side. Front is set into the trailer outer rim and primarily handles side to side as well as the DMax acceleration. :D

Don't have any pics of the hook points, I'll try to get some later if I don't forget. If you don't see something by tomorrow, remind me via. PM...

Jason: I expect your tow straps are breaking because of spring compression and then "hammering" them as it rebounds. Mine show no signs of wear after what, 2 years? Just don't leave them laying in the sun, UV kills the webbing, or so I hear.

Marc: Now that sounds like a great place, wish we had that here...

All: I also do run a 30k(?IIRC?) heavy vehicle chain (left over from when I had a car hauler/tow truck) from front axle to central trailer cross member when doing long hauls just for safety and because I have heard some states require it. I usually use a ratchet binder just to take up the slack, but I also have a lever-lock binder that I ALWAYS safety wire closed when I use it. But don't put it on the rear axle if your are already using the rear cross member for your primaries. You want to use a different cross member just in case of mechanical failure or something, so I tie it to the front axle and then go back a ways.

12. Burt4x4

Media:
    Ahhh Cool, that looks like the ticket, made in the USA too waytogo waytogo

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer Well-Known Member

Media:
    YUP!! in california ALL METAL SHALL BE BOUND BY METAL!! meaning chains for cars...

BUT, they dont seem to care. at least not to me they dont. i have towed te entire length of I-5 with my blazer tied down with ratched straps. now, i also use one grade 8 7/16ths chain on each axle as well.... maybe thats what gets me safe... OR its the fact that i have 7 other ratchet straps on there as well...

Yeah, i dont want my truck going anywhere.
    Grant

14. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    When hauling the backhoe I am required by law to use chains. In PA the law states that any equipment towed on a trailer must be bound in such a way as that the equipment will not come free of the trailer in a rollover (as quoted to me by a state police officer as he was writing out some tickets). SO for binding my trail rig on the trailer I will have 2 chains per axle at each corner with binders. To control body roll use straps but you have to have them attached correctly. 1 strap to each side attaching them to the sides of the trailer is wrong and is why you were breaking straps. What you want is 4 anchor points at each corner (most offrodaers use the recovery D rings on their bumpers). You attach 1 strap to each D ring and make an X with them attaching the other end of the strap to the opposite corner of the trailer. This will give a total 8 anchor points and eliminate body roll alltogether.

15. Burt4x4

Media:
    Hmmm...
    Well on my maiden voyage I used 4 ratchet straps. I did not X them as it seamed to make the strap 'cockeyed' to the stake post I used for an ancor point. I have a set of 4 D-rings to weld on still.
    Even though I had no issues I'm thinking the strap down setup i am using can be improved. But sometimes I over think and think too much :doah: then I am confuzed again :confused:

I think I will buy come binders and chain, I like the idea of having both...ya that's it! I will use the D rings for the chain and the stake pockes for the straps waytogo

16. Sierra53185

Sierra53185 Member

Media:
    Check out www.Macscustomtiedowns.com They have all sorts of hardware and straps for anything you need to tie down. (I am in no way affiliated with them, I know of them because we use some of their products in the trucks at work.) Hope this helps.

17. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff Member

i use 4 ratchet straps. one at each corner on the axle. i have towed stuff all over including a big blazer (42's, one tons, cage ect) from illinois and a 72 k10 from arizona and haven't had any problems yet waytogo

on the lighter stuff, (cherokee, samurai, cars) i will use 3 (2 on the front and one across the back) or 2 (one at opposite ends on a light car) ;)