Time for a sled thread!

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Oct 31, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    So who's a sledder here at TRC? The snow is about to start flying out here in Cali, and is already flying in other parts of the country. Anyone have a first ride yet? What are you riding this year? I've got my '03 Polaris Escape at the dealership right now and it's scattered all over the shop floor. Had a couple main drive shaft bearing go out. :doah: I know there is a couple of sledders here besides me, and a few more that I've seen lurking....start posting. Whatch'ya riding? What did you do to it in the summer? have you ridden yet this year? Anything. Pics are always welcome! waytogo

2. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    ummm.... Hey there..... My name is Matt.... and... I.... am a... sledhead.
    And I just put a new boss seat on my sled. Pics later.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I guess we are it for the sled heads. I guess some of the fellows that were browsing before aren't around anymore. Oh well.:doah:

I've got my Vertical Escape down at the dealership and it's got two drive bearings out.:doah: Hope to get it back this week.

4. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    So for sled related info do you research snowest.com or what? I spend alot of time there about this time of year looking through the polaris, mod/performance, and deep powder forums. Same user name. Any others your read through?

5. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Ditto here, this time of the year I spend more time at snowest than any other forum. I'm "vertical Escape RMK" over there. I post in the polaris and deep powder/mountain forums. I am a member of most the other forums too, snowmobile world, hardcore sledder, but they all suck because it's nothing but a bunch of firecat and Fusion flatlander owners, BORING.

6. marigold

marigold Member

I have a '02 Ski Doo MXZ 600. Just put the new track on it last weekend. Desperatly waiting for the white stuff to fly. I gotta get riding again.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    What size track did you go with? Are you a flat lander, mountain rider, ditch banger, or a little of everything?

Thats a solid sled you got there.

We had a storm role in last night, but unfortunately the temp. didn't drop fast enough and a good majority of the storm fell as rain. I guess it snowed at about 7,500ft or so, but most of the areas that you can ride that high aren't accessable unless there is snow lower down the mountain where the road ends. Come on storms...get it in gear...

I still don't have my sled back from the stealership yet anyway....Friday hopefully.rotfl

8. marigold

marigold Member

I just put on a bit more agressave than stock track. it is the 121" The old one was studded but I had a bit of a wipe out last year and tore up my leg pretty good. Just wanted to get rid of the studs.

Mainly ride the trails here it is pretty flat with some hills - iced lakes too (awesome for the radar runs). Nothing too difficult. I'd love to ride mountains, but my machine isn't built for that.

9. marigold

marigold Member

This is my baby - the day i brought her home

Attached Files:

10. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My '03 Vertical Escape has the factory 159" track with 2" paddles, series 4 challenger.

800cc motor.

I ride mostly powder, hillclimbs, and a lot of boondocking. Not much for trails around here.

11. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    I love sledding but all I have is old crap so I don't see a need to post pics!

12. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Whatchya got?

13. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    68 Olympic
    78 blizzard 5500
    85 formula MX

14. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    Its all good. I first started on a '79 ArticCat El Tigre, 80something Sting, and a 85 Polaris 600 triple

15. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    The first sled I ever rode by myself was a 70's orange Moto ski 340, I was 8.

My first real sled was the venerable Yamaha Phaser, then a '95 Vmax 600, then a '96 Cat 580 EXT, and last year in Janruary I bought my '03 Escape.

16. marigold

marigold Member

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I just fired the baby up last night - getting her ready for the white stuff and my exhaust manifold is cracked! I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive season. Recommend any aftermarket exhaust ststems? If i have to replace may as well upgrade.

17. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    I have an SLP single on my sled. The single is a little more easy to run. The twins you can get more HP out of but will require more jetting changes. Try snowest.com or something to see what people with your type machine suggest too.

Here are some pics from up today. Didn't take any pics riding, just when we got back to the trucks. Was at beartooth lake area basically on the mont/wyo line.
    Got to try to 162 attack 20 for the first time on snow... wow, could almost stop on a hill then take off again. So far I like it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  18. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Aah....you lucky $&%#....you've got snow. We are getting nervous, no snow yet and none in site.:eek:

Marigold,
    I don't know whats available for aftermarket parts for your sled but I bet SLP makes a pipe for it. You'll have to rejet and reclutch though if you use an aftermarket pipe. Thats why I'm still running the stock pipe with an MBRP can.

19. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    Might also talk to CPI about a pipe. We might be running down to their shop to get some pipes made. A good friend I ride with and an ex polaris tech knows a guy there. I have been thinking of CPI twins but not sure if I wanna worry about changing jets and stuff more frequently for conditions.