Todays project (no more EGR cooler problems)

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by Sled_Dog, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Sled_Dog

Sled_Dog Member

Stock:
    [​IMG]

What I did today:
    [​IMG]

And yes my welds suck. WAY out of practice with a TIG.

2. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

one of the best mods there are. I remember when my egr took a crap it left me overheated while towing a heavy load.

3. Sled_Dog

Sled_Dog Member

Really helped turbo lag and lower EGTs. Definetally a good idea.

Bad idea? Elite-Diesel's block off plate. I used it to block off the EGR cooler so it wasn't a massive boost leak. Its still bleeding off boost pressure. Maxes out at about 5psi less than it used to. Going to pull it out and just weld a plate over the backside of the flange piece I had removed.

4. SubYuman

SubYuman Member

Draw backs?

I'm all for simplfying things in the engine bay, but is there a minus to this mod? I am sure the Dealer would wet themselves if they saw it in place of their factory hardware.

5. powershooter

powershooter Well-Known Member

Media:
    not to highjack but how hard is it to remove the pipe from the truck with out taking the cab off or anything else ?

6. Sled_Dog

Sled_Dog Member

Its not about simplifying things. Its about stopping the EGR cooler from exploding internally(the number one cause of smoking 6.0Ls) and better turbo spooling.

If I had posted a picture of the truck you would understand, the dealership would **** themselves seeing it coming ;). 8" of lift and 36x15.50x20 tires with dual sidepipes and no muffler/cat.

Removing the pipe was a bit of a pain, but fully doable. Remove the inner fenderwell on the passenger side. Then just have to unbolt everything. Tight squeeze but doable. Took a lot of fancy wrench and impact work. The engine was out of this truck before(head studs and gaskets), and this should have been done then. I used to work at a Ford/Mitsubishi dealership, I learned how to work in tight spaces long ago. The owner of the truck had a good laugh when he saw me under the hood one time, laid fully flat with my head resting on the cowl, working entirely by feeling the bolts.

At the moment the truck is back in my shop for a full Regulated Return Fuel System from Long Island Performance. Damn thing keeps breaking up at high RPMs and having huge drops in fuel pressure under big load. The 5/8" pickup tube helped, but its still loosing pressure at really high RPMs.

And finally, if you are even thinking about lifting the cab or pulling the engine and putting in head stud, GET one of the EGR delete pipes. Elite Diesel makes one that looks stock but is blocked off internally if you care about the appearance of stock. We certainlly stopped caring now that there is no EGR and a bunch of braided stainless lines run around to an Aeromotive regulator ;)