Tow Rig Tire Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by 03fltri, Nov 7, 2007.

1. 03fltri

03fltri New Member

I tow a 37 foot 16K# toyhauler with my 02 F250 4x4 crew cab, 7.3. I am looking for some very good tires for my tow rig. I've looked at Toyo Open Country A/T, Yokohama Geolander G053 HT-S, and Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. I currently run Firestones and have gotten so so mileage and handling.

Anyone got any suggestions???

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

The way tires are coming apart and tearing up trailers, I would stick with what you have. The wear might be so-so, but its better than damage to you toyhauler from a blow tire.

3. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    BFG ATs:cool:

4. badboydiesel350

badboydiesel350 Active Member

Good Towing Tires

I have a 2000 F-350 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 long bed, the best towing tires i found were Firestone Transforce A/T 265/75/R16. I have a 26ft. gooseneck. I load anything on there, skidsteers, trucks, cars, building material. I have about 24,000 miles on my tires and they are still in great shape more than 60% tread left. They wear great to. Make sure you get you front end aligned.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    THE best tire is going to be a Michelin LTX tire. It WILL outlast any other tire and nothing else can beat their handling characteristics.

The only cons are a street tread and they are expensive.

6. originalodie

originalodie Well-Known Member

Just did my first tire replacement on the 07 Dodge. It went 49,000 on the stock General Ameritrac A/T. Wear was very even, handling was good, traction was so so. Replacements are Firestone transforce A/T I have only done about 2k miles so far, but I like them better in every aspect. They don't have near the sidewall deflection, they are quieter, and they dig much better than the generals. As far as wear, that is yet to be seen, but I am hopeful, as quieter tires usually wear better. Price was bottom end for name brand (under $1,000 for 6 out the door for 235/80R17). I think the reason for the mileage on the first set was that I had them rotated every 5,000 miles. Another issue on this is that I am on many nasty rig roads, usually pulling a 45 foot house trailer, and I did spend alot of time last winter chained up.
    I would agree that Michelin makes an incredible tire, but price is way up there and tread designs aren't what I need.
    Darin

7. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I am currently running BFG All_Terrains 305/70/17. They make a little noise but it looks great.

8. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

RJF's Red Cummins is spot on in my book. The Michelin's are the best, as far as wear goes. But, all that good wear comes with a price. They are marginal at best when it comes to any type of terrain other than on road. They do a good job with dispersing water while on the highway and they are the quitest tires that I have ever run. However, keep in mind that they will not do you well off road. Generally the more quiet a tire is on the road the better it will wear and the worse it will do in the slippery stuff, to include off road.
    LT.

9. jake

jake Well-Known Member

I vote Firestone Transforce also. I've got a set of Trancforce H/T's on my dually. I've got 22,000 on them now and I still have probably 50% tread left. I pull my skidloader and fence materials around all the time. I agree Michlen will probably last longer and wear better, but if you figure in how much more they cost.... is it worth the extra?

10. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

I like the nitto terra grapler. it is suprising how quiet they run for an all terrain and still available in E ratings- they also have a new highway tire called the dura grapler. It looks like it has the possibilities of being a contender. It is also warrantied to 45,000 miles

11. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

I see you're running the ALCOAs on your other truck. Did you go with their 200,000 mile Hankooks? If I don't trade for the Dodge 5500 I'm thinking of moving up to the 22.5s.

12. strictlyv8

I took the 22.5 off the truck. Mileage was bad and the truck rode real ruff unless loaded.

13. BTTB-RAM

BTTB-RAM Well-Known Member

I think you meant 305/65x17R, this is what I run on my tow-rig.
    They are an E-Rated tire and perform great on and off highway. My last set was 285/70x17R's and I got 45k miles from them....waytogo

14. strictlyv8

Sorry I did out the wrong tire size. They are LT315/70R17/D. Sucks that they are only D rated but I love the size.

15. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

Who makes a 100,000 mile tire? Is Hankook the only one?

16. HanksLBZ

HanksLBZ Active Member

I have to agree. I really like my terra's. It's the first set that I have owned by them and they seem to wear retty well. The traction in the sand is great also.

17. Lonala

Lonala Member

At Cosco in Hawaii 235 80 17 are 204.00 each..Aloha

18. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I like Toyo Tires; either the all terrain or the mud terrain. They look cool and you can inflate them as high as the truck says you should when towing.

BFG's are good too but they can't handle as much weight.

19. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

the problem with toyo is that they didn't have the tire sizes i was looking for in an E rated tire 17 in. I wont put anything less than E rating on. I havent checked latley but if I am wrong please correct me.

20. FishingRig

FishingRig Active Member

Strai8up I have been looking lately and Toyo has as many sizes in the e rating as anyone that I have looked at I am looking for 285 18 and they have two different sizes in the m/t 285 18 that are e rated