Toyota 1 ton dually in 07 or 08?

Discussion in 'Concepts | Press Photos | Rumors' started by CK5, Mar 29, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    That's the "rumor" I have read a few places, any truth to this?

2. willyswanter

willyswanter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hmm, probably be better than any american truck unfortunately... They will probably have a 35k gvwr, 800 ft/lbs out of an inline 3 cylinder, and a 200k mile waranty bumper to bumper.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    And get 30mpg highway at 80mph. :doah:

4. CK5

Media:
    Toyota's 'work boots': Strong future for Tundra, Tacoma

By TIM SPELL

The company famed for the Camry -- the "sensible shoes" among sedans -- is pushing hard to make the "work boots" of its lineup a comfortable fit with consumers. Toyota places both its full-size Tundra and compact Tacoma pickups front and center in terms of aggressive development and marketing strategies. The 2005 model year brings an updated Tundra and restyled, re-engineered, new-generation Tacoma. Big things from Texas

To a large extent, these "work boots" come with Texas-style cowboy-boot flair. Toyota is building a Tundra plant in the heart of Texas -- the world's largest full-size-truck market. Under way in San Antonio, the plant is scheduled to open in mid-2006 to begin production on new-generation 2007 Tundra pickups. As hinted by the imposing FTX 4x4 concept truck, which has been stomping about this year's auto show circuit, the 2007 Tundra will boast generally larger dimensions. The FTX is 228 inches long, 82.5 inches wide, 77.2 inches tall and sets on a long 149.8-inch wheelbase. The current-generation Tundra Double Cab 4x4 is 230.1 inches long, 79.7 inches wide, 75 inches tall and rolls on a 140.5-inch wheelbase. A Toyota spokesman said heavier-duty three-quarter- and 1-ton versions of the new truck are possibilities. The company's focus is on both power and fuel efficiency, and a diesel engine also is under consideration. The FTX is powered by a V-8 hybrid gasoline-electric engine that Toyota reports delivers V-8 torque and V-6 fuel efficiency. Special editions

A campaign to stir the emotions of truck-proud Texans already is launched in the form of a 2004 Texas Special Edition Tundra. This specially outfitted Tundra is dressed to attract consumers in the Lone Star State.

In Double Cab models, the package pumps up state pride with Texas Special Edition badging; brushed stainless-steel, tubular running boards; 20-inch, custom chrome, seven-spoke wheels; a stainless-steel exhaust tip; and custom carpeted floor mats. The Access Cab model's upgrades are the same, except for the wheels, which are 16-inchers.

Pricing for the Texas Special Edition Tundras range from $26,804 for the SR5 Access Cab to $36,554 for the Double Cab Limited model.

The 2004 Tacoma can be custom packaged in the same manner (except side step bars are chrome) to boost Texas appeal. The Texas Special Edition Tacoma package with 20-inch chrome wheels adds $1,899 to the price tag and the 16-inch wheel option costs $999. The PreRunner Double Cab 4x2 test truck has a $24,989 drive-out price.

5. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

Either way I'm sure it won't be CHEAP! :rolleyes:

6. CK5

Media:
    Here are some pics of the Toyota FTX concept that the new Tundra may be based off of:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. willyswanter

Media:
  8. CK5

Media:
    Where have I seen the big grill, small lights look before. :dunno: :D

9. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

:doah: rotfl waytogo rotfl

10. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    The rumors all seem to revolve arround 700 ft/lbs of torque out of a Hino Inline diesel and a V-10 gasser. Tranny will most likely be an Aisin, which, if its anything like thier other tranny's, should be nearly bombproof. To be honest, i cant wait for them to build this, we had a tundra for a few years, best truck we ever owned. Only problem was it was only a 1/2 ton. If i was still wheeling a toyota or a lighter rig, i would have already bought another for a tow rig, but since i am in a fullsize, i need something more than a 1/2 ton to tow it arround.

I know that the San Antonio plant is on shcedual, staff is being hired, and dealers are preping for them(3/4 and 1 ton trucks). The landcruisers and other 1/2 ton trucks/SUV's are also supposed to be getting a redesign for 2007 as well, and offer a 4.4L, twin turbo V8 Diesel, rated at 300hp and 430 ft/lbs or torque. Would be nice in a 1/2 ton pickup, but i sure hope its not the same motor they put in the 3/4 ton.

As for price, when we bought ours it was about $8K cheaper than a comparable GM, and it was actually a good truck. Besides, its not like GM's and Fords are cheap these days either :rolleyes:

Let the flaming begin!

11. willyswanter

Media:
    Yeah, lol, I didn't notice how much the front looks like a Dodge...

Just remember who's tow rig actually got there junk to the trail last time :eek: rotfl :pimp:

12. CK5

Media:
    :doah:

13. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I know I won't consider a Toyota pickup, I'm very brand loyal to the folks that have been building HD pickups for years.

14. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I'm not brand loyal at all. I'll buy what I feel is the best truck for the price, as long as I can afford that price. If Toyota builds a solid platform with good looks, power, capability and dependability for a good price, I would be happy to buy one. For one reason or another I have NO interest in any "Big 3" trucks currently produced, so maybe Toyota will change that. All other things equal, I would buy a "Domestic" truck before the Toyota, but even that is a silly thing since there will probably be more "US made" on the Toyota than on any of the Big 3.

15. CK5

Media:
    Pretty much how I feel also, having another player in the light truck market will only make the other three better which is good for everyone.

16. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

I buy american.. regardless of where its really made, and I just can't see toyota or honda for that matter producing a decent 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Hell, Honda tried the 1/2 ton thing with this new ridgeline, but its selling for 38-40k, and has a 4' bed and the axles are MAYBE rated for 1/4 ton... what a waste of time.
    Scott

17. CK5

Media:
    I wonder if they are using a rear Civic axle or something? :popcorn:

18. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Well, the ridgeline is based off the Pilot, which is based off the Accord platform. They are probably using the heavy duty family sedan axles rotfl

19. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

LOL.. either way, paying 38k for the ridgeline is ludicrous! I paid 33.5k out the door for my truck, and I got 10 times the truck for less money.
    Scott

20. Joey D

Joey D Member

You bought the wrong truck then. DC owns Dodge and it's not an American Company.