Trade my 4cyl S10 for a 12V Cummins?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by 54inches, Oct 10, 2006.

1. 54inches

54inches Member

I have a 2002 S10 4cyl 4speed that has barely 60k and is in great shape, runs good and gets 22 mpg.

My step-father has a 1997 dually club cab that he is going to trade for a new Dodge. The dealership offered him $1800. It has 200k miles, a large dent in the club cab door area, a mismatched tailgate, and the bed is scratched to hell. The tranny is rebuilt and the 5th gear was properly fixed by the dealership. He gets 25 mpg on the freeway consistently. I told him I would give him double or whtever he felt was fair.

Remember, my brother is an engineer for Cummins, but what I am asking if ya'll think this is a good deal.

Of course I would sell my truck outright.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. draggbody

draggbody Well-Known Member

according to your sig. it looks like you already own it...:confused: why would you give him twice what the dealership would??? seems like if he is family that he would be ok w/ getting 1800 from you or the dealer...

3. 54inches

54inches Member

It was just a conversation and I was just saying that I thought it was worth twice and was wondering what ya'll thought.

4. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'd give him 3600 for it all day long.

Screamin deal.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you actually need a 1 ton diesel dually? Your little 1/4 ton will still be a lot chaper to own. Insurance, licence, maintenance, repairs.... all will be quadrouple of what your S10 costs.

If you need it to pull a gooseneck around or a big boat, I'd say if it's a a good idea. If you are just wanting it because you could then I don't see a point in it, but thats all up to you.

6. 54inches

54inches Member

I am trying to finish up building my 1 ton Suburban that will be rolling on 50" Michelins. I will need to tow that. We want to get a boat and fourwheelers in the near future. I am constantly ahuling stuff in my truck and just a rearend is difficult for my lil truck to haul.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Well then it sounds like you have the work to justify the added cost of the new truck.waytogo

8. 54inches

54inches Member

Now don't get me wrong this is one of the reasons I am asking. What are your added cost over a conventional gas powered truck. I figure oil changes, typically, should even out about the same, but gas is more and the rest.

What type of maintenance over a gas engine does a diesel have?

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    It's generally more the whole pickup itself. One of the biggest costs is Insurance and license on one of these trucks. Granted, you are looking at what is now considered an "old" (not really that old) vehicle and it isn't worth a ton anymore, but on the newer ones you are paying insurance on the value of the vehicle plus the added risk of accidents while in tow. Insurance companies figure you are doing some sort of towing and hauling, regardless if you do or not. License fees are basically the same thing, higher vehicle value, and you are paying for your full weight rating.

As far as the vehicle, you are adding two tires, tires that are much larger and have a higher weight rating. Your average tire bill will be quadrouple of what you can get a set of small road tires for an S10.

Brakes.... big brakes, big bill.

Diesel is usually more expensive than gas, but the added mileage more than offsets it, when compared to the SAME truck with a gas engine. Your little S10 is still going to be cheaper to fuel in the long run.

Oil changes, will that varies on the type of oil and how you are using the vehicle, but more than likely the Cummins could be more costly there too.

Lastly that I can think of at the moment, all the other oils. Most people don't even think about anything but engine oil, but to change the oil in the trans and diffs will cost more with the Dodge.

10. 54inches

54inches Member

Thanks for the input. I went to the DHRA Diesel Nationals this weekend @ Houston Raceway park which happens to be 1 mile from my house.

This decision is one that I am going to have to weigh the pros/cons of each and just make a decision.

I have already considered your points and feel that I need to do some calculations and see what overall is going to be best for my family.

It would be great to get rid of a $250 a mo payment, but if I am spending it fixing this diesel then it will not be worth it.

Also, I drive 30 miles to work each way everyday....

Adam

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  11. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 Active Member

That Dodge has 200K left on it easily, though it's at the age where little things are going to start to go south (alt, A/C, etc.) The S10 should be trouble free til 100-150K. If it were me, I'd grab that Dodge and never look back. If you can afford both, that might be an option too. That Dodge isn't going to cost as much if you only drive it when you need to. Hell, if you are willing to do a little work, grab the Dodge, clean it up, and sell it. You should be able to make some money on a rig like that.

12. 54inches

54inches Member

If I can actually pick the vehicle up for the $1800 then I will be golden. Both vehicles run great, but I do not have space for that many vehicles, and believe it or not the dodge gets better gas mileage than my S10.

Dodge: 25
    S10: 22

This is still a hard decision.