Trailer Brake Maintenance

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by ramfan2, Jul 16, 2008.

1. ramfan2

ramfan2 Member

How often do you guys service your brakes? I pull my travel trailer less than 1500 miles a year. I probably haven't had mine done for 4 or 5 years. Haven't had any problems.....yet......Chris

2. jake

jake Well-Known Member

I have 25 - 30K on my equipment trailer. I have adjusted them twice now, and they still work fairly decent. I usually go by how well they still work. If I need to adjust my brake controller to the highest setting, and they still seem not to bite much, its time for an adjustment. Of course, after a few adjustments, assume that the shoes are getting wore and need replacement. If your brakes still have a good bite when you activate them, leave good enough alone.waytogo

3. drmjf

drmjf New Member

How bout packing the axles?

How often do you pack or regrease the axles?

4. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

I pull the drums off each spring and clean everything. Adjust the brakes if necessary and repack the bearings. Maybe over kill, but it sucks to do it on the side of the road :doah:when i could have done it at my leisure at the house. I got enough miles on the trailer now, I should carry an extra bearing/seal setup. Just in case.

5. PIGEON

PIGEON New Member

thats good .....rather do it at ur house on ur free time rather then on the road

6. 79Transtar

79Transtar New Member

Every spring I do the pre inspection safety of the trailers ,pull all the bearings and grease em. Youll will be surprised what you can find after a season of hauling.