Trailer rental

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by CK5, Jun 1, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Has anyone had to rent a trailer? where, how much?

2. Hintz

Hintz Active Member

yep in Ga though not that this helps you, it was a penske and cost $55 day biggest POS in the world ever again will I get it Im saving for my own now :D

3. Sierra53185

Sierra53185 Member

Media:
    Had to rent a U-Haul car trailer once. Biggest mistake I could have made. I nearly jack-knifed the thing in some really heavy rain. The surge brakes on it are just about useless. :eek: Wasn't all that expensive to rent, something like $50 plus deposit, but that was about 8 years ago. I don't know if they have improved the braking system. (For the record, the car was a Dodge Shadow, and the tow rig was an '85 Chevrolet 3/4 ton heavy.)

4. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

Maybe, just maybe, you were driving to fast for the conditions with the truck and trailer you had. :eek: :rolleyes: :doah: waytogo

5. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    When I asked about trailer rental I didn't mean a U-haul trailer, I meant a real 18-20 foot 7,000-10,000 trailer like most people purchase. waytogo

6. Sierra53185

Sierra53185 Member

Media:
    In reference to Super Trucker's response, I had someone pull out in front of me and had to brake quickly. While the rear tires on my truck didn't lock up, the surge brakes on the trailer did. In all of the rain, the trailer started to walk away. All I was trying to say is that if the trailer had been set up with electric brakes, and I might have had more control in this situation. Sorry for the explanation Colorado K5, I didn't mean to highjack the thread. :doah:

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I did about a year ago and hauled an F150 with my K5. The surge brakes were junk, if it wasn't for 3/4 ton brakes I wouldn't have done it.

8. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

Be it U-Haul or most other rentals they will have surge brakes. Because most of the people they'll be renting to won't have a brake controler.