Trailer Running Lights Problems

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LB7)' started by Old-Trucker, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

My buddy has an '03 3500 and last night he couldn't get the running lights on his 5th wheel camper to work. The camper is less than a year old and he has only towed in the daytime but this morning he had to take it to a dealer and planned to leave before dawn.

I went over there last night and found a couple of blown fuses, one was the lights and also the fuse for the aux power. Got the lights working but never did get power to the aux pin on either receptacle. My gut feeling is that there are relays in both systems, he had the same thing in 2005 and I can't remember what the problem was.

This morning he called and said that the lights wouldn't work again and he had to wait to leave. His main concern now is the 2 hour trip back tonight without trailer running lights. The turn signals and brake lights work fine.
    So I have instucted him to connect the trailer battery (Black wire) to the running lights (Green wire) in the junction box on the back of the hitch. I showed him this last night and he will have no problem.

Has anyone had a similar experience? It could save us a lot of time.

Thanks,
    OT

2. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Which fuses did you check? Under the hood or the dash? I would also look at the wiring harness on the camper. I had to have mine fixed when we bought ours, it was literaly falling off. :mad:

3. Old-Trucker

Old-Trucker Well-Known Member

Checked all fuses under hood and dash. Harness on camper is ok, problem is in truck.
    I'm a Ford guy and know what I need there but this is a 3500 D/A. Need to know where the feeds for the Batt and Running Lts are on the truck. Suspect that the relays are questionable.

Thanks

4. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Not sure about the relays. If I remember correctly, there is a distribution block under the bed where all the rear connections, including the trailer plug, tie in. Might want want to check it for corrison, etc.

5. weblee99

weblee99 Member

The aux power is supplied by one of the (big) maxi fuses in the under hood junction box. If you keep blowing fuses I would check the trailer for pinched wires or shorted out bulbs.
    Good luck, Bill waytogo