Transmission Limit

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by 06MegaCab, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 06MegaCab

06MegaCab Well-Known Member

Media:
    So far on my 06 2500 ive got
    1. Triple Dog Programmer that i keep on performance
    2. Straight through 4" exhaust from turbo back

coming up im putting a new intake manifold and cold air kit on it and im wishy washy about a water/meth kit

Is this going to spell death for my tranny?
    I tow a jeep on 1ton axles and 42s maybe 4-5x a year and i keep the programmer on tow/economy then
    Are there any affordable options to beef up my tranny? (other than buying a new one)

2. AZcowboy2006

AZcowboy2006 Well-Known Member

You can do a torque converter and valve body for around $2000 give or take.That should be more than strong enough for just a programmer and water inj.

3. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

2nd that!

4. 06MegaCab

Media:
    how much would labor be on this?
    theres no way im workin on the tranny on a $30K truck haha

5. 06MegaCab

Media:
    i am thinking about putting in a suncoast tranny or an atsdiesel tranny
    how much would labor be on this i really dont wanna crack my DD open........ive replaced a manual tranny on a jeep.....is this much different?

any opinion on which tranny?....the ats is 600 dollars cheaper and that makes my wallet feel better but is it worth it?

6. 451Mopar

451Mopar Active Member

My '05 has 50K miles on the stock trans. The only additions to the transmission was a deeper tranny pan and temp gauge.

The truck has been modified with air intake and Edge Juice before it hit 3,000 miles and I installed the exhaust and intercooler/highram around 10,000 miles. I only tow a few times a year, so most of the miles are normal driving conditions, except for drag racing it about 10 times a year.

The converter is pretty sloppy, but I'm waiting for the transmission to actually give out before I rebuild/modify it.

7. 06MegaCab

Media:
    you know you may have something there.........i guess i could just wait till it explodes......

8. 451Mopar

451Mopar Active Member

If your going to build a killer $5,000+ trans most of the stock parts will be tossed anyhow ;)

Think about it, if you are replacing the converter, the pump, all the input/intermedite/output shafts, clutches and drums, bands, servos, valve body, etc.... seems like you just reuse the case, the overdrive piston and drums, the thrust bearings/washers, and some hardware ;)

9. 06MegaCab

Media:
    yea im thinking im gonna try to make it until xmas....so the rents will help out with it haha

10. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I would just wait it out... get as much use out of the stock one as you can then replace it with a suncoast transmission.

11. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Waiting for the stock one to give out is not a bad idea. Problem is that when it goes out it will be when it is most inconvienent for you. You know, Murphy's law. I guess what I may think about doing for now is investing on a tranny temp guage and a deeper pan. This will do a few things for you. First you will be able to monitor the tranny better as far as the temps go through your new guage, and second I think that by adding the deeper pan you may also be able to keep the tranny cooler and have the capacity to hold more fluid. Also with a aftermarket pan you may be able to get one with a magnet in the drain plug. This will allow you to check for debris in the fluid when you change it, as far as metal debris. By adding these two parts when you do get around to replacing your current tranny you will also be able to install these new parts from the old tranny to the new one. No need to purchase items that you are going to throw away later.

LT.

12. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Wait for the stock one to give out, but you need to have a plan in place prior to that happening. Nothing worse than having the trans melt down and you only have enough money for a near stock rebuild. We use HTS, Suncoast and Goerends here in our shop. On the 48RE I like the HTS units best. Any of these can be built up to any level of power. I have a full competition Suncoast in my 06. I was planning on putting the HTS Valve Body in it to make it shift a little more to my liking. For my personal preference it shifts too soft and I like a slightly more aggressive shift.

Give me a call sometime and we can go over your options and help you get a solid plan set up so you are ready when the time comes.waytogo

13. 06MegaCab

Media:
    haha i just realized with that last sentence that it sounds like im having a baby

im praying im gonna make it till christmas or so but once things calm down and i make the drive from jackson, ms to charlotte, nc i will call you from up there

if you dont mind will you pm me a name and # plz?

14. Diesel Nut

Media:
    Sure, I can PM ya.

Just so everyone else knows, my name is Jason and I can be reached at 800.450.7036 here at the shop.

15. 451Mopar

451Mopar Active Member

What/who is HTS? I forgot to mention that I do have a deep trans pan and temp gauge.

16. 06MegaCab

Media:
    ok update on this

tranny is searching hard for 2nd gear and has slipped twice so i have a few questions

i have a buddy that had the same problem and he rode around with his truck unprogrammed for a while and the factory warrantied his transmission and replaced it

i was thinking i would ride with the programmer still on until april then deprogram it and take it in around the time that i got out of college for the summer and get the warranty done to it........money is now a problem and i dont think im going to be able to spend more than 3000-3500 (pushing it)

1. if i take the brand new dodge tranny and put a valve body and torque converter in it will it last with the programmer, exhaust, cold air, and intake manifold? ($2000)

2. if they dont warranty it for me where can i find a transmission to handle the same horsepower for 3000-3500?

Ive got one more quesition......my girlfriends dad works for freightliner and could get a tranny from them real cheap........is there any sort of tranny that will bolt up to my cummins that could be out of a b20 class 6 truck? and if so would it be anywhere strong enough to deal with the programmer and stuff or would it be just like the stock tranny now?

Input is greatly appreciated

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  17. 451Mopar

451Mopar Active Member

I think the dealer can tell the truck had been re-programmed when you use a downloader. I have been told that when you uninstall the program that it clears a bunch of codes in the computer, like how many times the truck has been started, etc. I can't verify this, it is just what I was told by a guy who works at the dealership. Said trucks come in for warranty work and the computer shows the truck has only been started like 20-times?

I guess you could try to get the dealer to warranty it, and they might.
    I think it really depends on if the Chrysler rep will pay the dealership for the work. I think most 5-Star dealers need to have really good customer service to get the 5-start rating, and they may repair just to maintain good customer satifaction scores?

18. Diesel Nut

Media:
    If you can get them to cover it cool. However, if it has SLIPPED twice, trans needs to come apart to insure the clutches are servicable. As far as the class 6 trucks, I don't know what would bolt up except and allison 1000, and even that would take some work. Different adapter plate, transmission crossmember, got to get the computer to not go nuts, ect. . . . .

19. 06MegaCab

Media:
    ok i figured ill get it warrantied and then on the brand new tranny add a valve body and a torque converter.......will this handle the power or am i going to have more tranny problems

it needs to hold up to a bully dog programmer that i leave on the middle setting and 4" exhaust with no cat or muffler, Icebox intake, CFM + intake manifold and possibly a water/meth kit...........think this can handle it?

the meth kit is not set in stone too if you think im pushing it

20. Diesel Nut

Media:
    The only thing I would worry about is maybe the input shaft and the flexplate. Most dealers if they are warranty rebuilding the transmission will install aftermarket converter and vb as long as you supply it. They have to bill DC for the labor already, so they usually don't frown on the parts.

If you do VB, Converter, input and flexplate, you should have no issues with what you have, or may add later. In a pinch, converter/VB will be fine.