Transmission Swap??

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by BlacksmokeRam02, May 20, 2007.

1. BlacksmokeRam02

BlacksmokeRam02 Member

I've been considering swapping in an NV4500 into my 02 Ram with a 47re. Does any company or anyone have info. on the swap? Or would I be wasting my time on this swap. It just seems that the price for a performance trans. is outragiously expensive. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Unless you really like something about your current truck that is hard to find on it, like a certain leather that you wanted along with the right paint color,etc... I'd just sell it and buy a 5spd truck.

Yes, the billet race autos are expensive, but a standard isn't exactly cheap. You can figure a grand for a performance clutch, if you actually want to hold back any real power and tow with it still, and you still need the actuall transmission and all the other stuff to go with it. A wrecking yard should want 2-3K for an used diesel NV4500, say a 1K for all the stuff to convert it and maybe more if the old driveshafts won't work.

Not to mention, if you are a racer that you will likely eventually eat the syncros and have to dump $1500 or so for that.

Or.... just save your change and get a built 47RE and have a better setup anyway. Thats me opinion. But, if you really want a 5spd, I'd just buy a new truck. I'd only consider doing the swap if it was really a special truck that was the right paint color, had the black leather, long bed...etc.... If it was me and I just owned a standard model white painted cloth truck....I'd buy a "FOR SALE" sign and start looking for my new 5spd Dodge Cummins.:D

3. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

I was going to do the same thing with my '02. I bought a NV-5600 though out of an '05, clutch and the master/slave cylinder setup. Spent $3,200.00 just on those parts. You will have to have your drivelines adjusted if you go with a 6spd. I dont know about 5spd. Pedal assembly that I found was junk yard, another hundred bucks. Me and my buddy never got around to doing it, I sold the tranny, traded in the truck for an '06 with a 6spd and I love it. Dont get me wrong, I miss my 02 and the noise that it made but I have no regrets about getting rid of it.

4. rat_power_78

rat_power_78 Well-Known Member

Have you got prices on the parts yet? Thats where id start. It should be doable, just a lot of work. I went from auto to 4spd in my 76 chevy and while theres a few less wires under the dash, its the same basic concept and believe me, it is a LOT of work. Of course, if you are like me and hate autos with a burning passion, its worth the work. As for selling it and buying a different truck with a stick, have any of you ever tried to find a decent used 24v CTD with a stick? Most of them are so beat up by the time they get to the used market that you wouldnt want them as your main transportation, which only gets worse the pickier you are on things like options and colors. At least, thats how it is in my area.

5. BlacksmokeRam02

BlacksmokeRam02 Member

Well you guy's make some good points. I have alot into this truck, custom paint, suspension, plenty of engine mod's. I guess I'll have to get a part time job to pay for that new tranny because I just can't stop with the performance mods.

6. srduster340

srduster340 Member

I was considering the same swap into my 2000 Ram Diesel but I really thought about it and decided that it wasn't worth it. Well, actually I could not afford it. I figured about $4500 after it was all was said and done. I spent $2000 getting the 47RE built. I will NEVER buy a Dodge automatic truck again as long as I live! I may sell it and buy a stick.

7. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

If it was an older truck I would swap if if it was a never truck I would trade it off or sell it then go get a new one, the best option yet.

8. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Properly built, the Dodge Auto can be very durable. Now, the 6 speed has its uses, as the Auto does. it all depends on your application. If you are towing heavy on the freeway most of the time the 6 speed is a better.

In this application, I think cost wise you are better off with a properly built auto, then the price of parts and labor to change it over.

9. Dave@BD-Power

Dave@BD-Power Well-Known Member

Why not look at getting and upgraded automatic? there is some pretty stout auto transmissions and low stall convertors available for the Dodge Cummins?

10. nastee1

nastee1 Member

2006 2500 dodge

My trans seems to go between gears, inother words I'll be driving and the trans will shift down a gear, then back up to the gear is just shifted out of. I only notice this when I am driving light or when pulling my boat every now and then. Almost like its coming out of OD for a second then back into OD. Has anyone else experienced this?

My truck only has 19k

11. Dave@BD-Power

It sounds like your tourque convertor is unlocking and re-engaing, not the transmission shifting. Could be a dirty single from the TPS, if so we have an $8 fix that cleans up the interference, worth a try, if is not the fix it could be a TPS sensor. For the price diff I would try the BD Noise Issolator Kit first, very common problem!

12. nastee1

nastee1 Member

Thanks Dave, sounds like you know your stuff with this, next question can I fix myself or will I need to take to a dealer, if I can, what products do you offer and priceing

13. Dave@BD-Power

BD APPS Noise Issolator

No worries, its a common problem, I will e-mail you a PDF file, its very simple! :cool:

14. BlacksmokeRam02

BlacksmokeRam02 Member

I'm probably gonna sell my truck any way, I want a reg. cab with a 5 speed if anybody has one or interested in a sweet ass 02 ext. cab, I have one for sale. I'll try to post pictures as soon as i figure out how to use this camera.

15. Dave@BD-Power

Sorry for some reason I though you had an 02, not normally an issue with the 48RE.