truck shuts off on its own

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 7.3' started by tonkatoy01, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tonkatoy01

tonkatoy01 Member

Media:
    i noticed that when the weather is rainy my truck will out of now where. as i left work tonight i ended up going through a huge water puddle accross the road. as i got home and backed up into my driveway it just shut down, it starts right up afterwards. one of my friends said that he thinks it sounds like the fuel injector pump may be going out. i was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out, id appreciate. thanks

2. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

When my buddy's was doing that it took quite a few times before it set a code and it was the cam sensor.

3. tonkatoy01

tonkatoy01 Member

Media:
    i replaced the camshaft sensor back in Feb. id say, cause the truck wouldnt even start. its possible that the sensor could go out that fast. if so i hope its that its an easy fix for me to do

4. 1999GMC

Have you hooked a code reader up to see if any codes are stored?

5. tonkatoy01

tonkatoy01 Member

Media:
    not yet im heading up to my buddys place this weekend so ill see if he can scan it for me.

6. 1999GMC

I talked to another buddy that has a 2002 F350 and he said when his truck was acting up he replaced his cam sensor and a few months later t started doing it again and he talked to a few guys at their Ford shop and they said replace it again, you probably got a bad one. And he wasn't to keen on throwing away another $100 and some dollars but couldn't find anything else wrong. So he changed it again and it has been fine for the last 2 years. You might already know this but there is a guy on Ebay selling brand new Ford cam sensors for $60.00. A few of my buddy's carry an extra one with them because they fail quite often.

7. oldpgapro

oldpgapro New Member

I had the same issue with my 2003 super duty. It would shut off while I was driving and then I would shift into neutral and hit the key and it would restart. I was advised to try the Cam Position Sensor. I bought one at the ford dealer for 36.00 and replaced it and it has been fine for almost 2 months. It was simple to fix it is located on the front of the black on the passenger side of the harmonic balancer. It takes a 10mm wrench to remove the bolt and just unsnap the connector. Hope this helps

8. tonkatoy01

tonkatoy01 Member

Media:
    i think i already replaced that unless they can go bad farely quickly, i ran my scan tool and no codes came back

9. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Look at all your battery conections and how charged they are. Also check to see what the alternator out put is too. Strokers are senitive to volt and amp rates.

10. skb1349

skb1349 New Member

Truck shutting off

My '03 has been doing the 'shut off on its own' thing off and on for awhile. It doesn't show any codes either. I've been told that the cam sensors either work or they don't. Mine will fire off again if the clutch is out and it is in gear and will start right up if it was in neutral. Mine mostly does it when I am at no or partial throttle. I've tried new fuel filters etc. If no one has a better idea I guess I need to buy a cam sensor and try that.

I've disabled/removed both of my chips and the truck still acts the same with them removed or off.

If anyone has found something different then the sensor let me know.

Thanks

11. Greenie

Greenie New Member

Shut off on its own

This has happened to me as well.I too had a new sensor,but I just plew it off and drove the f-250 later in the week.Worked just fine.It never has happened again.I think Its a ford thing.............Its been ok for the last month or so. Its also my first ford..........