Turbo Boost

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by glasaar, Jul 15, 2007.

1. glasaar

glasaar Member

I just got a 2005 f-350 4x4 6.0 the guy I bought it from told me that if it hits 26-28 lbs of boost antifreeze will come out the overflow cap. Is there a fix for this? Is it supposed to do that? When I got home it was 1 1/2 gallons of antifreeze low. It was running 215-220 degrees.

2. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

You might have bought a truck with a blown headgasket or a cracked egr cooler.

3. glasaar

glasaar Member

I took my truck in the shop they said it was a blown head gasket. When he gets in to the motor he will check the heads to see if they are cracked and if the turbo might be rusted. Should I let them put the stock head gaskets back on or should I buy some aftermarket ones???

4. CJseven

CJseven Member

I would go with ARP stud kit and good gaskets. They are pricey but good, I'll get the gasket info and get back with you.

5. Sled_Dog

Sled_Dog Member

arp head studs are helpful. Factory gaskets are the only way to go unless you are going to fire ring it. How does he know it is bad head gaskets and not the EGR cooler? EGR cooler is just much more common is all.

6. glasaar

glasaar Member

They pressure tested it at the dealer and thats what he told me. If it was the egr cooler it might have antifreeze coming out the tail pipe.

7. Sled_Dog

Sled_Dog Member

either one would blow coolant out the exhaust and coolant out of the overflow. I guess they are likely right, just saying the two can be similar.