Turbo Silencing Ring?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by smokindieselram, Apr 24, 2006.

1. smokindieselram

smokindieselram Member

Media:
    I have heard about taking the Turbo Silencing Ring out to make the spool of the turbo louder. But how hard is it? How long does it take?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    It is easy, remove the intake tube where it feeds the turbo. Pop the big c-clip that holds the silencer in and remove both. Put the intake tube back on and you are done.

YOu won't notice any extra peak boost whistle, what you will notice is you can hear it spool louder from 0-about 15lbs, and back to 0.

3. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

To gear heads, it's the best music that you dont have to buy!rotfl

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

When I took mine out I didnt notice a difference. I guess my exhaust drowns it out or something. I was prety dissapointed.

5. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

If you still running the stock air box it won't have that great of effect. I know guy's that buy AFE's or other open air elements and immediately want to replace the scilencer ring. They get kinda loud when towing IMO.

6. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    mine is fairly loud w/o the ring trhrough a BHAF. I could hear it more before the air filter mod but after it was definately singing. Plus the 5" straight pipe exhaust you can hear that whistle echo off buildings and when it slows down after shut down. Plain sweet