Warn winch repair (fix or buy new)?

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by myclone, Aug 19, 2005.

1. myclone

myclone Active Member

I lost a car off the trailer the other day (long story/minimal damage other than ego) and when the winch cable snapped it undoubtedly ruined the gear train in the winch. I havent taken it apart to asses the damage but Im guessing that some teeth on the ring gear and/or planet have been sheered off judging by its operation now.

So, before I spend hours trying to find out if I can get repair parts do any of you guys know if Warn sells gear train parts for any of their older winches? If so is the stuff expensive enough that for a few bucks more could I just replace the winch? Up until this point the winch has worked flawlessly and was only used once since new (mid 70s) before I bought it and Ive only used it a dozen or so times so its not like its worn out. That being said Id like to repair it if at all possible so any input would be appreciated.

TIA :)

2. myclone

myclone Active Member

FWIW... Obviously its been a while since I looked at the brand of winch I own since its a superwinch not a warn :doah: .

Anyways, I called up superwinch this AM and they sell repair parts so if you have one of their winches and need replacement parts just give em a call with the model number and they'll take care of ya. Nice helpful folks as well.