Waste Gate stuck?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by PoorBoy, Jul 12, 2006.

1. PoorBoy

PoorBoy Member

Hi.
    Is it possible to have a waste gate stay partially open but still function? The reason I ask is that I put a restrictor in the boost line to bring up my pressure(22psi at wot) and to spool up quicker but it still won't spool till I shift to 3rd gear and walk on it hard, and then it seems slow building up and still doesn't reach any higher pressure.
    Is it hard to take the waste gate off to visually check it?
    Thanks for any help.:)

2. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    You could just pull the hose off, and put some regulated compressed air to it. Then you could see how far it is opening, at what PSI it opens..... You would also be able to hear any leaks if the diaphragm is blown out.

3. PoorBoy

PoorBoy Member

I took the hose off and put regulated air to it and it doesn't seem to open till 20psi. The arm only moves about 1/4 of an inch. Is that enough? Is there no way to actually get a look at it to see if it's staying partially open?:confused:

4. BurnedBronco

BurnedBronco Well-Known Member

they do tend to carbon up bad and not open or return closed.
    got one at work right now that i took the tubro off, soaked in blaster and heated several times trying to free up the wastegate, but still only mananged to snap the arm off where it goes into the rod at the bushing.