Went to buy a Scrambler....but bought something else.

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, Mar 17, 2005.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    So I went to look at the Scrambler ATV's like I mentioned in my other thread in this forum but when I got there I stumbled across something else, something else that is much, much faster :pimp: ..........

I bought a 2003 Polaris Limited Edition Verticle Escape 800 equipped with the monster 159" track. :popcorn: It's got an SLP exhaust can and only has 560 miles on it. I haven't even picked it up yet but have some rep photos that I found on the internet. I will post pics of the sled as soon as I get it on the snow this weekend. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing like going WOT with nearly 150HP in a "measly" 488lbs. :pimp:

We've got two Polaris VE's now. My dad's wife is riding the 700 this year.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Oh Miniwally....I know you ride sleds too..... :popcorn:

3. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    2 days and not one response.. :doah: You guys suck. :D

4. Super Trucker

Super Trucker Well-Known Member

I had what was one of the hot sleds 25 years ago. A Yammi with a factory race 350 2 stroke twin. Nothing compared to some of the sleds these days.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I just got home with my new sled yesterday evening. I have pictures of it in the back of my pickup but need to get them downloaded. :cool:

Supertrucker,
    We are into snowmobiling more than anything and were riding '96 and '98 Cats and finally stepped up to a 2003 900 A/C and 2004 700 Polaris and what a world of a difference. THey have come a LONG way just in a couple years really. Thats why I went and got this 800! The sled market makes the diesel pickup market look like a slow moving turtle. rotfl

6. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Living in CA I have no need for an expensive machine that I can only ride a few months out of the year.:stir:

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Obviously, you've never ridden a fast snowmobile before. :) I think the little tours you can take at places like Lake Tahoe are cute, those are fun for people trying to find something to do on the weekend but not what snowmobiling is about. Out in the back country in the Powder and hill climbs are undescribeable.

It's not just for a few months, we can snowmobile from late Novemember all the way to June on some years.

8. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    Nope, never ridden one. I imagine it's relatively similar to riding a fast quad on the dunes, only colder and farther away.:D

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Actually it's not man. :doah: It's a lot different in the snow than sand. It's much faster since snowmobiles have more power vs. weight than most quads and the terrain is different.

I can hit 100mph in just a hand full of seconds on most of our sleds. waytogo I've never seen an ATV go faster than about 60 before. How fast do some of the high performance ATV's top out at? My Lakota 300 2wd is pretty much maxed out at 50mph or so, the same with our Polaris 400 2 stroke Xplorer. My dad's 900 A/C jumps up to 50 literally about 4 times as fast as my ATV will, and I'm sure my 800 is just as fast.

One thing cool about snow is that it covers rocks, fallen trees, growing trees, holes, etc. and produces a smooth flat surface that ATV'ers don't have in the mountains.

There's something about hitting a good hill climb at 70mph at 8,000RPM's. :popcorn:

linky to polaris
    Here are some dealer movies, not the best and most extreme but maybe some decent action, I can't watch them on my ancient Pentium 1. :doah:
    another clip, from A/C

10. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    An lightly modified Cannondale can hit 90-100, but it's scary as hell...:eek: The main thing that keeps the acceleration down is the fact that they'll loop on you, but the ones with super long extended swingarms can get moving in a damn hurry.

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you watch the clips...hmmmm??? :D Grab your :popcorn: and start watching. waytogo

12. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Box stock Yamaha Banshee's will do in the neighborhood of 85 mph. The Raptor which is the newest Badboy from Yamaha is supposed to eat that for lunch. Slightly mod a Banshee and you can see triple digits in the blink of an eye. Ive ridden a handful of SkiDoo MXZs setup for real fast trail running and it is damn easy to get up to 100+ in a hurry. RJF, what kind of riding do you do? Slednecks style backwood riding? Ive always wanted to head out west for a week to ride.

13. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not into ATV's as much as snowmobiles and know very little about modded ATV's, thanks for the schooling guys.

FordCummins,

Out west it's mostly all long track mountain sleds out here, if someone has a short track sled around here you know they are not local. The reason is we have a lack of big, open groomed trails like the ones that are further east. We do mostly small ungroomed trails that lead deep into known areas where there are great places to play in powder, hill climb, and boondocking. We've got a few decent groomed trails in the somewhat "local" areas that are fun but I thrive off the deep powder and climbing. Come out west, you'll either love or hate our deep woods riding. waytogo