What are "DV's"?

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by RJF's Red Cummins, May 17, 2006.

1. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I've heard of people going with 190 DV's and what not. I assume this is something inside the P7100 pump.

School me on "DV's" and I'm also interested in what it takes to make big power with this pump.

2. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Delivery valves. The bigger the delivery valve, the more fuel that heads toward the injector.

As for big power, its really not to hard. Fuel plate, GSK, delivery valves(if you have a "smaller" pump) and some pump tweaks and your set for the pump.

3. CTD NUT

CTD NUT Well-Known Member

Media:
    The delivery valves are the valves that are on the top of the plunger barrels that the injector lines go into on the top of the pump. When you have to feed the insanely large sticks, laser cut DV's can go much larger than the common 191 DV.....but this is for rolling out VERY large volumes of fuel. Even if the P7100 you have is already equipped with the largest available OEM DV which is a 181, the 191's still provide a large additional shot of low end fueling - even with stock sticks. While laser cuts are the way to go big time fueling, 191's have successfilluy fueled CTD's into the 700 hp range.

For REALLY big power, a plunger and barrel size change is required along with a huge laser cut DV.....when I mean big power, I'm talking about P-pumps that flow in the 800cc+ range which will take the CTD into the 800 - 1000 hp range. For more moderate power gains, starting with the 215 hp pump will get you into the 500 hp range with the stock 181 DV's though, the 191's will allow for a fatter power curve and a bit more peak power when coupled with some big sticks. My favourite plate grind is the #100......add a GSK, some 370 sticks, 191 DV's and some timing advance in the 16 - 18* range and you will easily exceed 500 hp.

4. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I believe Joe Donnely over on TDR hit 800hp with stock 181 DVs.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    How?

6. CTD NUT

CTD NUT Well-Known Member

Media:
    Once you have 181's, they certainly aren't the limiting factor for hp......it's just that you can typically have the capability to make even more power if you were to have even bigger DV's.....also, peak dyno run hp numbers do little to illustrate the power gain big DV's can offer.....they typically can fatten up the hp curve EVERYWHERE - not just the peak.

I have no doubt that it is possible to make 800 hp with 181's - it's just an exception to the rule - most people that are in the 800 hp range won't be running 181's because they are looking to make as a much power as possible.....I also don't have a doubt that even more power would have been made if there were lasercuts in place of the 181's.

I have swapped out 131's, 167's and 181's for 191's and have always found large power gains especially in the lower part of the curve - even in instances with stock sticks.

7. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    Tuning. Hell, Stomp put down over 600hp to the rear wheels on #2 only with a VE rotary pump, a pump that until recenty was looked at as junk, and incapable of making more than about 300 horse at the crank. Even a 160hp p-pump is capable of delivering enough fuel to make almost 600 flywheel horsepower, but everything else has to be matched damn near perfectly and it has to be tuned by somebody who knows what they are doing.

8. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Not at all. HP is not a problem with tractors of the size we use, it's weight and traction.

I am trying to drum up conversation since you dull 12v'er boys are shy or something....rotfl

10. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    prob with the 12v is you can build enough HP for free that your clutch likes to jump out and give you the finger..... :doah:

11. 54inches

54inches Member

Does someone have this "free" recipe written down somewhere?

Be gentle I am new and ansorbing as much "search" info as I can.

12. nevrenufhp

nevrenufhp Well-Known Member

I think a couple how to's are in my signature...link below

13. 54inches

54inches Member

I just read that......thanks...

14. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    you can regrind your fuel plate for free. i made a wastegate controller and run ~35 psi boost, you can take your stock fuel plate and slide it forward for some gain, BHAF filter is only $35, I scored a 5" full exhaust for free from a guy upgrading to stacks but was only charged $20 to straight pipe my stock 3" originally. Stuff like that. Make sure you have guages though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!