What kind of tire rating D or E???

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by dr_amx, Oct 17, 2005.

1. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am looking for some new tires but I can't make a decision about what style to go with. I think I am going to by Bridgestone/firestone because I can get a good price on these tires, but I don't know which tires will be good on/off road plus towing a car trailer with a pickup camper. I think the size I am going to go with is 285-75-16. I am open to all opinions and ever better facts. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. RonJ

RonJ Well-Known Member

You're asking a single tire to do an awful lot there! No single tire is going to excell in all those areas. Unless you do some heavy duty four wheeling you should be able to find a tire that'll be okay but, if you like slinging mud or rock crawling you might want to buy another set of rims and get a set of tires for highway hauling and a set for wheeling.

3. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    Thanks for the reply I realize not just one set of tires will excel in all areas but I am looking for a happy medium. I also wanted to see what people are hauling with d rated tires or if I really need e rated tires. If I need e rated tires that pretty much tells me to buy steeletech at's.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Hey dr_max, I too am going to get a new set of shoes here in the near future. I don't have a slide-in camper yet but that is the 'build-up' plan for my towrig. I plan on sticking with an E rated tire that is also M+S, mud&snow, so I can have peaceof mind when bad weather hits or I need to get to a trail head with all my gear.
    I have not found a tire yet but I do like the BFG AT just haven't checked if they make a E 285-75-16?

So everyone?? Do we really "need" E or does a D tire get-r-done to?

5. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    I am pretty sure that the bfg's are d rated. I need the snow traction also because I plow.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Ya that is what I am thinking too but I haven't checked...maybe instead of working today I will search the internet...

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd look into the Cooper Discoveries, I've seen them on numerous HD pickups and they look like they have some fairly aggressive meat on them.

8. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That's the same tires I have on my truck. I have 305/70's and I love them, they are a good cross between mud grips and all terrains. I haul some fairly heavy loads with mine with no problems so far. I'm usually way over my GVWR evey time I tow with a load.

9. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    I will check them out!

10. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    If you are using a slide-in camper then you definatley NEED E rated tires. I Think I heard over at thedieselplace.com that BFG is releasing a Load range E 285 All terrain at the end of the year.

11. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I run Bridgestone Duelers in 285/75/16 on my 2500HD and I've been very happy with them other than some separation problems. I had a couple of tires separate within a few thousand miles of each other. Probably just a bad batch, so I didn't trust the remaining tires. I called up Bridgestone and they gave me a full set for free, replacing a set with well over 20k on them. Can't compensate me for the trouble it caused, but at least the customer service was great and the new set has been flawless.

As for function, they work great for what I want. Loaded to 15k or more (my typical load out) they work well and I have no stability problems. I had a trailer brake failure (turned out to be a broken wire on the trailer) and wound up driving over 400 miles with nothing but truck brakes and no complaints. Frankly, I couldn't tell there were no trailer brakes most of the time.

I also got caught in a "record breaking snow and ice storm" on a coast-to-coast run. News said it was the "worst in 30 years" and it covered most of the mid-west. I had to drive 900 miles in 4x4 on skating rink quality icy roads and snow, including "closed" interstates (yeah, I know). Never had a problem, and on one particularly steep on-ramp to an elevated Interstate where I stopped for fuel, I walked right up where several other 4x4s and FWD cars were stuck at the bottom scratching their heads as I putted right on up and away. Lockers and careful throttle application undoubtedly played a part, but the tires seemed to work VERY well on all snow, ice, dirt, and rain (torrential and flooding at times) that I've run them through. But, like any "all terrain", they tend to pack up in mud, which is their only weakness IMO.

Just my personal experiences, take it for what it's worth. You may or may not find they suit you, but I am happy with them.

12. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    So are you talking about the duller at's or at revo's ?

13. dr_amx

dr_amx Well-Known Member

Media:
    Do your 305/70/16 fit well with stock suspension?

14. Mr. Beer/Cummins

Mr. Beer/Cummins Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    They do slightly rub the right lower control arm when turning to the right, but not enough to harm anything. I just back off the steering wheel a 1/4 of a turn and the tires don't rub any more. They never do rub when turning to the left though :dunno:. I did have 285/75's on it and they never rub at all, maybe this will help out waytogo.

15. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Dueler ATs

16. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

yup, IMHO, if you are hauling a camper, no matter the size, and towng a trailer, you should stick with E rated tires.
    Scott