What temp thermostat?

Discussion in 'GM Gas Engine Rigs' started by RiverMtnMan, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RiverMtnMan

RiverMtnMan Member

Anybody got a suggestion on what temp thermostat to put in '80 Chevy K30 with a 350 4spd. I bought this to tow my trail rig with, a few months ago and about froze driving it home. I've been fixing a few issues on it and am getting ready to tag it. I figure it may need a thermostat and I was planning on putting a 195* (I guess factory) back in it.

2. Seminoles

Seminoles Member

Media:
    Just stick with factory unless it is modified. Even with out a T stat you should have gotten a little heat check for heater core, hose, or even intake/head blockage while your flushing the system during the T stat replacement. Also look at the flow valve for possible problems. The core might be bypassed indicating a leaking core original owner did't want to go the expense to replace if that is the case and you don't want to either they make a core that goes under the seat for conversion vans it even has its own fan. Then again I did have a Dodge once that came from the factory with a heater but that is a different story and you don't pull a trailer with it you might put it on a trailer. LOL

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  3. RiverMtnMan

RiverMtnMan Member

Thanks for the reply Seminoles! It was in the teens the day I brought it home. The fan works and I could feel a little warmth in the vent, but barely. The temp gauge seems to be working, it came a little less than 1/4 way up. I'll check for any flow issues when I replace the thermostat.