Whats a good tire for on and off road towing?

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by 83_k10, Jul 12, 2005.

1. 83_k10

83_k10 Active Member

I have got 7 matching rims and only 2 tires that match tire size is 31/10.50/15 whats a good tire to use that is sticky on the pavement rain or shine but still hold good pulling a dead car out of the mud?I have heard the BFG all terrain were good but my local rip-off artist uh,.. i mean tire shop wants $150 per tire,I like the BFG name but thats as far as the Radial T/A for my car and I like Goodyear and Kelly.But I will not put a Firestone on ANY of my vehicles. any suggestions on grip reliability and price?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Well traditionally....you have two factors to work around with tires on a truck.

1. Too road friendly and they will suck off the pavement.

2. Do great in the mud but wear out fast, bad handling, and noisy on the road.

But.. with a tow rig there is a third factor....tire weight ratings.

How many miles a year are you going to drive? I would go with a BFG M/T if you want more on road performance than off and I would go with the SSR if you want more off road vs. on road. Both tires can be had in a "D" rating, if that isn't enough and an E tire is needed than you will have to go with something in the Michelin LTX lineup, they have one tire that is a mild M/T.

3. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    Bobby is right, you have to find the sweet spot for your needs, and you need to cover all parameters before any really good suggestions can be made.

That said, I love my Bridgestone Duelers. Great on and off the road (for what I do, which is fire roads, camp grounds, etc.). I also crossed the country coast to coast a few years ago right through the heart of "the worst snow storm in the Mid West in 30 years" on them with GREAT results. Over 500 miles in 4wd and I was moving when nothing else was. Literally left other 4x4s sitting at an on ramp they couldn't get up. How much was the tires? I don't know... but I'm not planning on changing...

4. 83_k10

83_k10 Active Member

Most of the driving is going to be city and highway,I have built this motor strong for hill climbs with weight with occasional off road just to pull cars out from backyards,fields etc...I may have it as my DD for a while and snow is definetly a factor here in Indiana I have also been thinking about a winch for the bed or something like that and one for a trailer when i get one.

5. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    I currently run the MAxxis Buckshot mudder in a 315/75R16 which I think is D rated. I plan on MAxxis Bighorns next time which is also D rates but has one more tread and sidewall ply. They are fairly knobby and seem to last decent on the highway and the price is usually pretty decent, I am getting the 315 bighorns for $135 to my shop.

6. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I run BFG ATs on my jeep (I know but it was a DD) and they are great! I lived in Ohio for 6months this last winter and they were unstoppable in the snow. They do alright in the mud (to be honest I dont do very much mudding). On the street they are terrific, quiet and well handling. I have 12k miles on them and they look brand new still. I think that they are great and plan to put them on my tow rig when my current tires wear out.

-Brent

7. 83_k10

83_k10 Active Member

how much were the tires when you bought them? Doesn't $150 each for 31/10.50/15 sound a little high?

8. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

Not anymore :doah: Tires are way outta sight on pricing.