Which Generation of cummins for Most Power

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by thebird00, Sep 30, 2008.

1. thebird00

thebird00 Member

I'm looking to do a cummins swap into an 87 or so chevy truck eventually. I'm trying to figure out which generation of cummins I should be looking for. I'm sure the newer ones would be harder to swap with the wiring an all.

What kind of bottom end work needs to be done to put up big numbers. I'm new to the diesel game. Are compond turbos worth it? I guess I'm looking for a parts list to make big power. It'll be a daily driver with light towing. Can I do both with a power range of 600hp and 1100 ft/lbs of torque?

Thanks for any info,
    Mark

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I think that you can have both a daily driver and light tow rig with 600 hp and 1100 ft/lbs tq. I think that I would be looking at a 12 valve motor. Reasons are: First, wiring as you already discussed. Second, the 12 valve motor is going to be hard to beat as far as the bottom end goes. Third, price. I think that you will be able to not only source a 12 valve easier but, it would also be cheaper in the long run for your swap. Compound turbos will be the way to go for both a daily driver and tow rig. The reason is because you will be able to have the boost available soon after you get your load going and you will also have larger boost numbers for when you are wanting to show off a little. But, they are expensive, so get a loan out or save up. You did not mention if this was going to be a 4x4 or a two wheel drive. It will make a difference when it comes to oil pan clearence and front drive line life. 1/2 or 3/4 ton will not live long under that much torque.

LT.

3. thebird00

thebird00 Member

Thanks for the reply. It'll be a 1 ton chevy if I can ever find a truck that I want. The K30s are starting to be hard to find, at least one in decent shape at a decent price. Will a stock bottom end hold up to that kind of power or will I need to do something to strengthen it? It will be a 4x4 so a custom cross member is in store as well as a small lift for oil pan clearance. I've been trying to figure out a price range for just the motor and upgrades.

4. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    I'm no mechanic... but I think that the 12v would be your best bet. You can buy a 12v and have somebody rebuild it with heavy duty components so you can reliably make big power. Also, from what I understand, it is only a few wires that you have to hook up to the truck since it is a mechanical motor.

Just find a 12v and a NV4500 trans to throw in there.

Check this out...

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/chevy/0803dp_1980_chevy_k30_cummins/index.html

5. thebird00

thebird00 Member

Thanks. That looks like a good article. I think I'll be going with the 12V for the many reasons stated.

6. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    just for clarification...

i think the common rail cummins is capable of the most power.

but i also think the 12v would be best for your situation.

7. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Best bang for buck will be the 12V. Its durable as hell, and fairly inexpensive to build. The common rail would be my second choice, but the cost of the motor, the cost and work of the wiring, unless you are interested in that complex of a swap, the 12V is the plan.

Now, as for making the power you want, lets look at a few things.

First, are you going to try and find a motor and drop it in or locate a motor and rebuild it? How about a motor already built?
    If you are going to run with what you find locally, I would pull the oil pan and look for signs of junk. Pull a few of the main bearings and inspect them as well. If it has a lot of miles on it, you may just want to do bearings on it while its out.

600hp and good driving manners are completely doable with the 12V motor. Just have to build it right.

8. thebird00

thebird00 Member

Plans as of right now are to find a 94-98 donor truck get the complete motor from. I think that will be the easiest and I'll have any wiring or accessories and inter coolers and such.