Which laptop from these...

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by CK5, Aug 5, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
  2. MTMike

MTMike Well-Known Member

I have a similar Satellite system and really like it.

I have 2 complaints with it.

1) The Fans pull air from only the bottom of the case, and if it doesn't get the right amount of air space (like resting on your lap or cloth material intead of a hard surface) it will overheat and shut down. My solution to that is I carry a piece of cardboard with it and use that to set the laptop on when on soft surfaces. This is something that would have promted me to not buy it if I had even the slightest idea that it would happen, but I have worked around it.

2) When it's dry & static-ey in the house (like during winter) it likes to get shocked whenever it's touched, and when it gets shocked, it locks up. I will use a grounding strap this winter, but it is a pain in the arse when I'm working away and the dog walks by and brushes my leg with her tail, which in turn shocks me, and in turn the laptop, and locks it up.

Other than those I'm really happy with my system, and I LOVE the Tru-Brite screen.

-Mike

3. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Good to know, thanks.

4. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I just ordered a new loaded Inspiron 9300 from Dell with a 40% off coupon along with some others stacked. less than $2k for a ~3400 machine and free delivery. That also has 4 year next day on-site service if there is a problem.

And they used to have fantastic over the phone service for sale and customer service if you needed anything. However, that is a thing of the past. It seems most all their phone support is out-sourced over seas to Panama and India. Sales is not bad at all, and I have a feeling that is where they placed the "best" (speakers and competence) of the lot. This time I had a problem where my first order got canceled but there was (apparently, or so I'm told) no reason listed and no inidication of who was responsible. After several phone calls where I *proved* them in several CYA lies and ripping a few supervisors a "new one", I have an even better system (they through in some accessories) "expedited" through the system and next day air delivery for no additional charge...

In any case, you really can't beat Dell for price/performance on a laptop. Too bad their phone support sucks so bad now. But on the up side, if you spring for the extended "on-site" warranty, the service is provided by local companies and is VERY good in my experience. High end laptops are about the only place I where I think the extended/extra warranty options are valuable. I've had repairs made while on-site in New York City, Boston, LA and WPB. I use my laptop a LOT including travel which is hard on them from bumpting around. To date, since 1999 or so, I've had several keyboards go out (pretty much beat to death) and 2 mother boards (probably vibration from excessive travel).