Which Truck??

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by blazd88, May 5, 2006.

1. blazd88

blazd88 Active Member

I have a choice of two trucks. One of which I have been driving for over a month. It is a 98.5 24v CTD 3500 ext cab dually 2x4 5-speed with 138k and some fuel problems. Runs great when hot but if its not warm weather its a terd. Wholesale buddy is willing to help with cost of fuel problem most likely VP44. On the other hand he recently got in a 2001 24v CTD 2500 ext cab short 4x4 6-speed with 220k also including replacement bumbers front and rear. The 01 starts and runs great no blow or smoke. I can get the 01 for a grand less than the 98 but should I be worried about miles if Im already having fuel probs with the 98. Im thinking that the 6 speed and 4x4 are my determining factors. I pull a large trailer daily but not enough I feel like to justify a duall. So you tell me! Which way do I go?

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    If the 2001 is a 2001.5 then definantly. The 01.5's are the cream of the crop for 2nd gens, and yes I'm biased.:D

3. blazd88

blazd88 Active Member

What letter(or number?) am I needing to look for to identify an 01.5?

4. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Rear disk brakes instead of early year drums....

5. blazd88

blazd88 Active Member

thanx. Havent actually stood next to the truck until Sat. I had only been sent pics. The truck is in good shape but seems to need a thing or two and also arises a few Q's. The truck has 4" exhaust all the way back as well as a Quadzilla box. Makes me wonder about how its been driven in the past. Also the tranny is a bit difficult to shift(of course so is the 98), gears grind a bit and its been making enough power that under hard acceleration you can smell clutch. So now I wonder will I spend less fixing the 98 or since Im getting the 01 for a grand less is it still the better deal even if I have to rebuild the tranny and buy an aftermarket clutch(which would come anyway)?

6. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmmm..... that can be a toughy...

My guess is the PO raced it around and was shifting hard and fast through the gears. I hear this is hard on the syncros. The clutch is a no brainer, as it kind of sucks anyway. When we put a South Bend Con OFE in my dad's '02 H.O. (like this '01) I was amazed at how smoother the clutch felt and how much easier it is to push the pedal.

Is there guages in the truck? How much power does the quadzilla box add? I think syncros are around 2-2.5K to replace in the NV5600.