Who goes to church?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by Brisk, Aug 21, 2005.

?

Do you go to Church?

1. I go almost every Sunday

65 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. I don't ever go

39 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. CEO (Christmas Easter Only)

9 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    Does anyone on this board besides me go to church? I was wondering this as I was driveing to church this morning.

2. yellowxj

yellowxj Active Member

Church is a pretty big business in Florida. I guess thats the main reason I dont go. I thought it was supposed to be about helping and educating people. Dont need a half million dollar sound and light system to do that. Every church here has a band, giant flat screen tv's, etc.etc...

3. PermanentMarker

PermanentMarker TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    waytogo

You gotta wonder if it's like that in Florida because there's a bunch of Oldsters down there, just waiting to get bilked out of their life savings.

It reminds me of the South Park episode that was on last night, where Pat Robertson was on TV asking for donations to build the "600 Club Intergalactic Starcruiser". Hilarious. "Now, Jesus needs your money so that we can get a Negative Ionic Tractor Beam Disrupter and Argon Crystallic Lasers. Need to have Argon Crystallic Lasers to penetrate thick space hulls so that we can spread the word of Jesus."

4. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I used to go to church when I was a kid, quit when I was a teen, and now I'm starting to go again because I am starting to feel the need to go again. My GF is fairly religious and wants me to convert to Catholism.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I have absolutely no reason to go to church but have nothing against those that do.

6. Po' riggity

Po' riggity Well-Known Member

May I make a suggestion? Convert to catholicism because YOU want to, not because your GF wants you to. You won't ever be happy with your choice if its forced on you.

I haven't been to church in a while, but thats mostly because I work just about every sunday, and don't really have a choice in the matter. My Fiancee and I are Christians, and plan on going to our church more regularly once things settle down a bit as far as marriage, home buying and things go.
    Scott

7. KidJethro

KidJethro Well-Known Member

waytogo

I have no problem against those that go, as long as they don't judge me for not going.

Never been to church, most likely never will.

8. Slide

Slide Member

Media:
    I go to church cause I get to drive the bus. Did I mention it is a Chevy Kodiak C5500, with Dmax/Allison. It is sweet! I was on the committee that picked it out.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 Well-Known Member

not a church person at this time. to much of it jamed down my throat as a kid. but yes i do belive there is a higher power out there somewhere.

10. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    Wow, luckily this is a mature forum. I find the 3 absolutly taboo subjects that will start more fights than anything are politics, religion, and your favorite nascar driver.

I'm with the crowd that used to go as a kid. Was forcefed religion, baptised 3 different times for 3 different religions. And I'm done with it.

11. BadDog

BadDog TRC Staff Staff Member

Media:
    I'm also very impressed by the level of maturity and reasonable responses so far, I hope it continues.

I had actually typed out a rather lengthy response of my own thoughts, then decided that it would probably draw out those with less restraint and cause problems. So, rather than risk a blow up, I'll just leave it with this.

I do not go to Church other than very rarely as a sign of respect/support at a funeral, wedding, or some such. In fact, given my family's situation it really can't be any other way, but that suits me just fineā€¦

12. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I didnt grow up going to church but I did go every sunday for a few years and now I cant really as I work sundays now I guess oil changes are more important and I need the money.
    My wife wishes we could go and the few sundays I get off I must addmit I sleep in and rest.

13. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I find that through out towrig.com very mature members that respect one another. I'm a member of www.snowest.com for all my snowmobile stuff and most of the guys on their forum are about the most argumentive bunch I have ever witnessed. This thread would be on it's 7th page by now. :doah:

14. 4054x4

4054x4 Well-Known Member

Media:
    i try hard to be in church once a week. i go to church to learn more about God and what His will is for my life. i wont lie to you all... im a big fan of my God haha.

15. RonJ

RonJ Well-Known Member

I go every week. I try to set an example for my kids, 9, 6 & 4yrs old.

16. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

I don't go to church, but I do believe there is a higher power out there as well. Church is just not my thing, but I absolutely have high respect for anybody who goes. Everyone I know who goes to church regularly is very dedicated and I think thats pretty cool.

17. NoChrome

NoChrome Active Member

Growing up I was forced to go, then the wife drug me along, now its like punishment. Expecialy with a hangover. I dont enjoy it, I only go to keep her off my back. I realise its the wrong reasons in all aspects, but you married guys understand... right?

I think the Church we go to is just not my kind of place. They all get dressed up in suits and ties. I show up in blue jeans and a t-shirt and they look at me like Im scum. Like anything I own will impress God.

18. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Well-Known Member

I go one or two times per month as the schedule allows. I don't get all dressed up uber fancy, just a decent pair of pants and a reasonable pullover or button down shirt, basically same way I'd dress up to play a nice golf course. I'm not one who believes in dressing up more than that except weddings and funerals.

19. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    I wear shorts sandals and a T-shirt to church in the summer timewaytogo

20. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks Well-Known Member

I don't go to church on Sundays. However, the church up the street from my old house puts on a "making ends meet" dinner with with a sermon done by one of the pastors every Friday night that my Mom and I go to. We always get there early and volunteer to help out the crew that cooks the dinner and we stay after everyone else leaves and help with cleaning up the place.

Scott