Why do Baseball Managers...

Discussion in 'The Drivers Seat (Chit-Chat)' started by CK5, Jun 1, 2005.

1. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Why do Baseball Managers were their teams uniforms? Coach's from other sports don't do it, man does it look bad to see a fat 60 year old in a Baseball uniform like he is going in to hit or something, this is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen, what the hell? rotfl

2. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne Active Member

Media:
    Edited........ ;) :stir:

3. CK5

Media:
    I agree... :popcorn:

4. Shaggy

Shaggy TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Baseball is steeped in tradition, I imagine it's a holdover from when there were player/managers maybe?

Baseball is way cooler than football. :stir:

EDIT: Go Giants! :D

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  5. Hintz

Hintz Active Member

fixed it for you waytogo :stir:

6. CK5

Media:
    Another thing, why would you name two different sports teams from the same city the same name. :confused: rotfl or is that San Fran and NY, I dunno?

7. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    Oooh, name-calling eh? :doah:

Football is OK, but IMHO football is a more physical sport and baseball is much more cerebral, and I enjoy that part of the game much more. Not that there isn't strategy in football, I just enjoy baseball strategy much more. I think that a pitcher has to have 100 times the control of the ball than a quarterback does, and there's a little mental battle between pitcher and hitter during every at-bat. It's just not as simple as heave the funny shaped ball at the guy over there (I know it's not actually that simple).

The main thing I HATE about football is all the showboating. You'll never see a baseball player dancing around home plate after he hits a homerun, just a highfive or a forearm knock with the teammates and that's it. The showboating in football really annoys the hell out of me. It was one thing when a player would pull off an amazing play and have a little celebration, but now after every single routine play there's some overpaid moron out there doing a little dance or strutting around like a frickin rooster.

Go ahead and like your idiotic sport, I'm not going to try to stop you. :D :doah:

8. CK5

Media:
    Yep, nothing like a two team dugout clearing brawl everytime a pitcher hits someone at bat. But seriously, the Managers look really silly trying to look like a player. :D

9. Shaggy

Media:
    Albums:
    That barely happens anymore, a couple of times per season but it's rare. I actually miss the managers turning their caps around backwards so they can get closer to the ump's face when they yell at him. :D

Meh, I don't think it's silly, I like it how people respect the tradition. I dig it when players wear the old school style uniform pants with the big socks and eye black too, so I'm kinda wierd. :eek:

10. gravdigr

gravdigr Well-Known Member

Tyrone, PA ...The asscrack of the northeast
    Yeah, it can look kinda silly (managers in uniform).

As for baseball being more cerebral than football, don't think so. It's about the same. With football it's more the coaches against each other. Think of it like chess with the players being the pieces. Except you don't have 100% control of your chess pieces. The offence calls a play and the defence trys to anticipate the play and counter it.

Now I do agree the showboating is disgusting. Imagine the looks I get doing a victory dance after finishing a grave. Do your job, and be happy if you did it well. But flapping your arms and rubbing your ass on the goalposts is immature and lame. Anyone on my high school team (oh so many moons ago) that did that would be lucky to only be benched half the season and not removed from the team. It's called good sportsmanship which is sadly lacking with many of the headliners in football.

Go Steelers waytogo