Why do Hotshot?

Discussion in 'Hotshot Hauler' started by SUB602, Sep 19, 2008.

1. SUB602

SUB602 New Member

I am new to towing anything really, but i love big trucks I.E. Tractor Trailers/Dually Trucks. Probably too much BJ & the Bear and Smokey and the Bandit when i was little.:doah:

Anyway Hot Shotting has peak my interest in maybe doing it after i retire, but all i read here is that its not worth it. If Hot Shotting is such a PITA then why do so many people do it?

2. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

All depends on what you want to get into hauling. Cars work for some, some people won't touch them. Where are you located? Check out www.hotshothauling.com Sign up and ask away, nothing but hotshotters there. Have my 40' gooseneck trailer up for sale if interested.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  3. SUB602

SUB602 New Member

I am in Phoenix, but not really planning on getting into it any time soon. I just read alot of these threads and when anyone shows interest in getting into the field it seems like everyone starts saying NO dont get into it its not worth it, they dont pay enough per mile, insurance is too high. So i posed the question if the industry is sooo bad why do it?

4. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

I see what your saying, I dont have an exact answer for you but take a look at it like this. For some guys, a job is a job. Others, its the only thing they can do and keep their sanity. Or its like an old timer once told me about working in radio; radio is either a disease or a passion... What is hotshot hauling to some of you die hards out there? A disease or a passion? :rolleyes:

5. tosch88

tosch88 Active Member

Is hotshotting or trucking worth it. Yes & No. 83% of all new businesses fail in the first two years. So that's were the negativity comes in. I have done pretty well for myself in trucking and my company is only 2 years old. I will tell you its not easy, but nothing is when it comes to running your own business or everyone would survive not just 17%. If you like driving but don't want to put in a ton of hours, try and find a good company to lease onto (they are out there). If you want to be your own boss, work hard, make decent money give it a shot. The initial start costs are pretty big. Insurance 3 to 4k down about $700 a month, figure on about $1500 a week in fuel (depends what your hauling & where), a decent truck & trailer will run you about $500 a month (or $30k) you need something decent because if you broke down your not making money your spending money and possibly upsetting a client. Getting your operating authority, dot and Mc number are not that big a deal. Irp plates will cost you aroung $1200 if you register in most states, IFTA is free but a pain in the arse. You can gross between $4k & $5k a week, some weeks more some less. Is there money in it yes just don't forget some customers pay in 10 days and some in 30 days. I hope this helps, there are a lot more little things involved but you get the picture I hope. Now is a tough time to get started in some areas or markets, but 80% of anything sold is moved by trucks so there is work to be had you just have to get after it!! Good Luck with your decision.

6. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

A lot of veterans have left HS because they saw their profit margins diappear or were marginal anyway. For rookies I would suggest looking at haul-offs like boats RVs and trailers so you don't have to buy a trailer. To beat the high fuel costs check out SVO systems.

7. HozzyNutz

HozzyNutz New Member

*Its about time i see some POSITIVITY in a question answered for a rookie. Ive been researching this for a while, as i wan to get into it, and 95% of people try to talk me out of it. I like ^ that answer waytogo