Why I think GM is better

Discussion in 'Brand Wars' started by DMAXRIG, Feb 13, 2006.

1. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Ok guys, I know I may be starting a war here, but I feel like arguing a little bit. I like the GM better than Ford and Dodge. While I think the cummins has the most potential, I think the Dmax pulls better than cummins and the ford 6.0, ecspecially stock. I think the Allison is by far the best auto you can get, I think dodges autos are a joke. Gm is by far the most comfortable ride, most comfortable interior, and just looks good. I like how fords superdutys are big and roomy, but I hate thier interior. Dodges I think are the least comfortable, have a terrible 4 door, both the tiny back seat and now the over done MEGA CAB!!! I really belive if it wasnt for cummins, dodge would be 6 feet under. Ive driven all 3, had a Cummins, and prefer the GM with the Dmax/Alli combo. I think its the best all around. But, its all just an opinion, even though Im right!!!!!!!rotfl

Lets see where this goes!!! :popcorn:

2. Suburbazine

Suburbazine Member

Media:
    No takers? I suppose that's cause Ford and Dodge haven't gotten their noses off the floor from bowing to GMrotfl

3. CK5

CK5 WhooHoo! Administrator Moderator

Media:
    Actually Dodge is the best for one reason, because I own one. rotfl

4. mbwagoner

mbwagoner Well-Known Member

I'm begining to agree with you. I have a V10 Dodge and love it, but now I need a real back seat. The cummins is great, but their auto's suck. After buying our Yukon XL and driving my friends GMC I'm sold on what my next truck will be, at least if bought today. Tomorrow everything might all change. Unfortunatly I'm probably looking at 08s, not 06s, although I need the back seat today for the kids. what to do :(

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Nah, it's because the Ford and Dodge guys aren't interested in arguing with GM guys, just between the two, because Dodge and Ford are the two that are always in battle for whats considered the best diesel pickup....GM wasn't even on the map with the girly IFS, cute push button transfer cases, and a "diesel" engine that sounds like a gas truck, YUCK.:stir:

6. DMAXRIG

Your right that there is no argument. The Dmax has the most stock power, no argument there. True, they may sound like a realy fast gasser. But, its better than sounding like a high powered sewing machine like the new cummins.

:stir:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. 1999GMC

1999GMC Well-Known Member

I always said I would never own a IFS POS. My buddy bought a 1999 K3500 Chevy 5 years ago. Over the past 5 years our families have gone on different trips and I've gotten to ride in it more and more. We'd take the 4 wheelers out and most of the time he would drive because he has a car trailer also, so it would fit all the quads. My solid front axle ride started getting real old. Granted it was lifted 6 inches, so that didn't help. But even stock solid front axle trucks didn't ride as nice. I have family members with Fords and Dodges, and for me the Chevy/GMC seats are more comfortable, and the ride is no comparison. If I was going to wheel the crap out of it, I wouldn't have bought the truck I did. But for comfort and travel I love it.

8. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    1. Who basically cares who is making the most power currently, it will just likely change next year and if it doesn't it will definantly the year after. Ford is about due to be #1 again. The big three just have a big computer war going on...."who is going to have the most aggressive ECM this year...." I pay more attention to transmission options because I'm more interested to see if the current trans is capable of the power a black pox would push it anyway.

If I was buying a new truck, stock power would mean little to me, sence I'd be adding some sort of large black box, exhaust, intake, and other mods anyway.

2. I agree that the new Cummins sounds like crap, almost as bad as the Ford PSD and Dmax.

Diesel pickups quit sounding good standing next to them with the truck idling in....

A. 2003 for Dodge, this was the first year of the CR motors with the quiet idle crap.

B. Late 2003 Ford 7.3's that started recieving same multi injection quiet idle crap.

C. All Dmax's. None have sounded good, but if I had to choose it would be the LB7, it was the loudest.

Yet another reason I love my '01.5 Ram, when I roll up to a stop light in traffic, anyone with their window down is going to hear nothing but CUMMINS. :pimp:

9. DMAXRIG

Dont get me wrong, I love the loudness. I believe that is how a true diesel should sound. But, it is nice haveing the option of a quiter diesel. When im hunting, nothing is worse than scaring off deer from 10 miles away.

10. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

Ahh!!! The true symbols of power!

Attached Files:

11. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    pfffhhh...how cute.rotfl

Cough*...a real motor..cough*...with a turbo you can actually find under the hood...cough* cough*...
    [​IMG]

12. Brisk

Brisk Well-Known Member

Media:
    All I can say is that my STOCK 6.5 will dust my buddies STOCK 01 Cummins in a drag race. And we both can hold the same speed towing the same boat up the same hill. So where is the advantage???
    Oh and my trans is still fine while his is starting to slip:doah: rotfl

13. DMAXRIG

I really do think the cummins is slight better than the dmax. Longevity and fuel mileage, it probably wins. From my experience, the dmax tows a little better I think. Besides the cummins and duramax battle, I think GM beats dodge in every aspect still. Tranny, comfort, design, interior, looks.....The only thing I really like about the dodge is the cummins, I really dont like the rest of the truck. Its all prefrence though. People like what their gonna like. waytogo

14. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

cough..cough..real transmission..cough..cough!:stir:
    cough..only in GM..cough..cough

Attached Files:

15. DMAXRIG

:stir: LOL!!!!! rotfl

16. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

Okay... I'll bite. When I bought my F350 Crew Cab long bed back in mid 2003, I test drove both the GM HD and F350 back to back three times. They are both good trucks. I chose the F350 for several reasons including the size of the interior (when going to a race my girls fill up the back seat with stuff and the Ford has more room back there) and I felt (as did several other magazines of the time) that the 6.0L was the quietest diesel on the market.

Also, based on several truck magazine articles I've read, while the Dodge and the GM may have more outright power, put a trailer behind them, and the Ford has won every test I've seen. Since I bought mine for towing my Vette around, that held quite a bit of weight with me.

In terms of looks, to each his own. I think the F350 looks much better than both the GMC and the Dodge.

I've now got 50k miles on my F350 and still love it... and I'm partial to GM (by other cars are a 2002 Corvette Z06 and a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer).

17. the_sandman_454

the_sandman_454 Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of IFS. My last truck was a 92 K2500 with a 350, 4wd, and unfortunately IFS. Too costly to modify and/or lift, and even when it is, the center chunk still hangs down quite a bit. Granted that's not such a problem when dealing with a tow rig. Simplicity is nice, and SFA tends to be a bit less complex and in some cases fragile than IFS with all it's somewhat delicate CV's, and so forth.

I really don't see the ride of my 2005 3500 Ram being much if any worse than that older K2500.

Do the new GM trucks even come with a manual transmission option for those of us who don't care for automatics regardless what brand they are? That's yet another place Dodge won out for me, besides the Cummins and the interior.

I prefer the Dodge Ram interior to the GM trucks, I mean who needs all that extra junk? I can turn my headlights on just fine myself thanks. The GM truck has a pretty fancy interior but doesn't really have much more function than the Dodge does.

IMO the Avalanche style front end looks goofy. No offense to anybody who likes it, but it just hasn't managed to grow on me, despite a family member choosing to own an Avalanche.

The other thing is look under the hood of all 3 makers and determine how difficult it'd be to get in there and work on it if you had to. For me I prefer what it looks like under the hood of a Cummins powered Dodge, everything one needs to see or access is clearly visible and reasonably accessable.

As for power, as mentioned previously, it all depends on who happens to have the more aggressive ECM programming at the time. There's always addons if one doesn't think a truck is powerful enough. Normally it doesn't matter to me who can get somewhere the fastest. What does matter to me is longevity, so I choose the system that gets me the most bearing surface area, which should help in that department a bit.

18. DMAXRIG

I dont really care wether its afs or a straight axle. If i wanna climb a cliff, ill use a jeep or a quad. The ride difference between a dodge 2500 4x4 and a gm 2500 4x4 is quit great. We have a 2003 dodge that is rough as hell off road. Feels like a damn tank. My 2002 gm rides so much smoother off road, no comparison. I just think the dodge interior kinda looks like a mini van inside, just not for me. True, I dont think GM offers a manual. Got me beat there. I agree with you on the avalanche look, not for me either. Why I have a GMC. The only advantage to having all that space under the hood is if you know how to work on these newer engines. My old 12 valve was easy to work on, but I cant do any work on the newer engines. If you can great.waytogo Just to many computers and electic parts for me to know what Im doing.

19. rlyons

rlyons Active Member

Well all I can say is when your truck is 15 years old and still running, let alone never had a wrench inside the engine and still pulling your Fifthwheel anywhere you want to go, getting 21 mpg empty, putting out 300+ HP and did I mention your aluminum/plastic junk still running, then we will compare trucks. That's all I have to say about that!:stir:

20. bigHD

bigHD Well-Known Member

There are pletny of old GM diesels running around too. Along with GM gassers. My uncle has 260,000 hard miles on his 5.7 2500 and it Still going 17 years later!
    I could care less about a manual transmission. I like manuals, coolness of them can't be beat, but an auto is so much easier for a long trip. IF GM doesn't offer a stick with the Duramax, its because the new 6 speed Allison can be shifted manually if you want to. All of the Engines in my fire department have this type of Allsion and they are unbeatable for this the type of driving that we do. Just my opinion. The Duramax is not weak, IFS is not girly (Its actually very strong, the weak stereotype comes from people who mess with theirs and I agree, a solid axle would be very cool in a GM, but how many of us can truly say you absolutely NEED a SFA for our truck?), and the Allison is the strongest light duty truck transmission around. Like I said just my opinion.