Will my 48re be ok?

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 5.9 (24v)' started by Bigg Redd, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Bigg Redd

Bigg Redd Member

My truck is an 06 Dodge CTD, quad cab, dually, with a campershell. Mods include a Quadzilla Max Mileage Module, AFE intake horn, AFE cold air filtration system, and a Magnaflow straight through muffler. The Kitty is MIA and the exhaust is stock 4". My transmission has a Magtec deep pan and I use synthetic ATF. Rear gears are 3.73:1, and its 2WD.

I bought a new 28' Wilderness Travel Trailer a couple of months ago. In studying the specs, I found that it weighs 7500 pounds dry. Fully loaded and wet, I estimate it to weigh approximately 8600 pounds give or take a couple hundred (my best guess). My truck pulled it with ease in "Tow Mode" at its dry weight. Trans temp didnt get much over 170 degrees on the freeway, on a 30 mile trip (from trailer dealer to my house) and slight incline.

My question is, will my trans be ok pulling this kind of weight on a long haul? Im currently planning a long vacation in which I will be touring 6 states. I estimate about 3300 miles, give or take. My last trailer was about 4400 pounds and I wasnt concerned about it then, same mods on the truck. Future mod will be a VB and TC, buts thats several months away. Am I good to go??? I've heard that the automatics arent that great a transmission. :confused:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  2. Bigg Redd

Bigg Redd Member

Well, anyone???:dunno:

3. LOUDandPROUD

LOUDandPROUD Well-Known Member

It should be fine. I wouldnt tow with your programmer settings cranked way up but thats not a very heavy trailer. I had an 02 Dodge that was an auto and towed heavy a few times without issue. Just lock it out of overdrive on the grades. Its going to get real hot if it starts shifting a lot.

4. Bigg Redd

Bigg Redd Member

Right on! The cool thing about my Max Mileage Module is that it has only one setting (I dont trust myself with a multiple setting programmer). I don't "hot rod" my truck anyway. I will definately keep 'er out of overdrive on the grades, especially in Colorado.
    Thanks for your help.burnout

5. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    You'll be completely fine, I think. Minus the electronic upgrade, your transmission is designed to handle exactly what you are wanting to do.

Keep your box on the lowest setting and go. If the transmission does anything funny like a shutter or slip, you'll know and then back the power down to stock.

IMHO, it's got to slip to cause any damage, so if it holds tight, you're good.

6. TXDODGE

TXDODGE Active Member

You should be fine. My 03 has the same mods except I run a Triple Dog Programmer and an Air Dog fuel pump. It has 190k miles on the stock tranny. I have been lucky I guess because I do "hot rod it" alot and have towed alot of loads heavier than what your expecting. It will slip some now, but I'm just waitin for it to give out then I'll get a better aftermarket one.

7. xploretx

xploretx Active Member

Call James Tranmission Technology in Milothion Tx. He is a rep fro DTT, Goereend, and Suncoast. He will be glad to answer any question. He has a reputation thay covers TX, OK, LA and others. He just did a billet tq and VB and its like a different truck. I also get 2 more mpg.
    His number is (972) 467-3702.

Pete

8. retread225j

retread225j New Member

I tow a 8,000 lb camper with my 06 megacab with the48re and just set it to the tow haul mode and have never had any problems pulling it. I take it up into northern arkansas in the mountains and it takes a pretty good hill to make it down shift. I don't think you have any problems at all.

9. Hawkins

Hawkins Member

I tow my boat using my Fifth Wheel Hitch most of the time, I always make sure that my Fifth Wheel Hitch and the pin box is the same level as whatever I am towing. I think it is reccomended to give 6 inches gap between the top of the pick-up walls and the underside of the front of the trailer to prevent pitch and roll of the trailer and I don't have any backing problems at all. I tried to find photos of the hitch I am using and I found this http://www.hitchanything.com/Reese-30K-Low-Profile-Fifth-Wheel-Hitch-30054.html , my pals reccomended this and it seems to work for me for my heavier loads.