Wiring question

Discussion in 'Towing Equipment' started by series60, Sep 21, 2006.

1. series60

series60 Member

Media:
    I have just completed a 20' TT (very old TT say early 70's) transformation to a 2 quad 16' utility trailer and I am in need of a simplistic diagram of how to connect the two red wires coming out of the brake assemblys. 4 brakes total
    all of which have two red wires coming out of each assembly. Need to include wiring for 12v on trailer battery and brake away switch.

Thanks in advance.

2. Gone Huntin'

Gone Huntin' Member

Well, one red wire will be a ground and the other will be the power which will be supplied from your brake controller. It doesn't matter which red wire you use for what, they just go to a winding in the magnet. The break away switch wires are simple too, one side goes to the battery and the other splices into the power supply wire to the brakes. Don't pull the "pin" out of the break away switch while the trailer connector is hooked to the truck, or it will damage your controller. Hope this helps.waytogo

3. series60

series60 Member

Media:
    Thanks Gone Huntin!

Thanks for the wiring info. I was very unsure given all I have read about one must be sure and connect + 2 + and - 2 -. Breakaway equally simple once someone imparts knowledge.

Thanks again,:)
    Bill