Yet another problem (stalling)

Discussion in 'Dodge 2nd Gen Cummins 5.9 (12v)' started by TheGeneral, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

I know ya'll have got to be getting tired of hearing about my truck problems but I need your help on one more thing. My truck has started stalling out if I blip the throttle and dont ease it back down to idle really slowly. When Im backing out of my driveway I can stall it two or three times and its really starting to concern me. Other than the stalling problem the truck runs like it always has. I was wandering if maybe the idle was too low? It idles at about 700-750. Is this a symptom of a bigger problem? It seems like every time I get one thing fixed something else has to rear its ugly head.
    Thanks for your help,
    Justin.

2. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd turn the idle up to about 850-900 or so. That is where later 12v's idle and all 24v's.

3. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

What year is the truck? I had a 95 that ideled at 500 RPM. 94 and 95 usually idle about that. Your idle should be ok where it is at, but turninig it up to about 900 like RJF said could help, but I think it may be something else. Is the engine cold when it stalls?

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

The truck is a 97. And it stalls worse when its cold but it still does it a little bit when its warm. Something I forgot to add was that I can rev on it all day long and let it snap back to idle when its in park or nuetral, but once I put it in to gear the rpms drop by 200 and it starts stalling. Ive got an aftermarket torque converter in the trans, would that be a reason why it would need a higher idle rpm? I thought maybe a tighter TC and my bigger tires might contribute to my problem?

5. Diesel Nut

Diesel Nut Well-Known Member

Media:
    Its possible the tighter converter could cause it, but I wouldn't raise your idle a lot at a time. Just go to 800 and see if it still does it. The 825. I have never liked how fast the 24v trucks idled. My 93 was 700. My 06 is 725. You shouldn't need to run the truck that fast to keep it running.

6. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

How do you change the idle? I assume its an adjuster located on the pump somewhere? Im going to be installing my gsk set tomarow so I can probably do it both at once.

7. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

You need a short 10 mm wrench to do this. The adjustment is at the back of the pump towards the bottom. It makes it easier if someone helps you by giving it some throttle while you feel where the linkage rests against the adjusting screw. IIRC, you turn it out (CCW) to increase the speed. This is how I was told to adjust it, though I never did. Good luck and let us know what happens.waytogo

8. PoorBoy

PoorBoy Member

Ditto to what he said. I had to adjust mine last fall cause it started doing the same thing. I bumped it up 125rpm and it is ok now. I can start out without touching the throttle until I am moving.

9. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

Adjusted the idle up to 825 this afternoon and my problem has completely dissapeared. Thanks for all your help guys.
    Justin

10. MNorby

MNorby Well-Known Member

Media:
    also check timing and fuel system

11. TheGeneral

TheGeneral Active Member

How do I check the timing? I want to advance it a few degrees for better mileage and power. Also, what parts of the fuel system should I check? I know I need to change the fuel filter but other than that Im not sure what to look for as a cause to the problem. Buping up the idle fixed the problem but if thats just a band aid for a bigger problem Id like to find it.

12. PoorBoy

PoorBoy Member

Unless you already have the proper tools for adjusting the timing you are probably better off to take it to a shop that does this king of work as the tools are a bit costly. I just had mine done a while ago by the dealer where I bought the truck and it cost me $285.00 and that included setting the valves.
    You may also want to check your fuel lines for rotting and possibly sucking a bit of air but then it should be a little harder to start.