Dually Wheel Spacers...Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by Beakers3500Ram, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Beakers3500Ram

Beakers3500Ram New Member

I've seen a few dually trucks running taller and wider tires. I really like the look but I know in order to get the wider tires on my skinny 17x6 rims I'd have to run wheel spacers. Wouldn't they put more stress on the whell hubs/lug nut studs? How safe are they to use? I've already replaced the stock 235/85R17 tires with some 265/70's but in order to go taller and wider to get the look I eventually want I don't see any other option. I've done some internet research and it seems no one makes dually rims that aren't skinny 6 or 6.5's. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me?
    Thanks!

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

I have been running wheel spacers on my rig now for nine months and have put about 11,000 miles on them. I have had no issues or problems with them. The only complaint that I have with them is when I am needing to cross through a mud puddle. Because of the spacers I throw mud all over the rear dually covers and anything else I may be towing. I think that my rig handles loads a little better because of all the rubber I now have on the road. For instance; A few months ago I was hauling my race car trailer back from Salt Lake City, Utah and was going a little bit too fast for the trailer. The trailer started to sway back and forth. But, because of the wider tires and the spacers it did not bother the truck. It was very easy just to reach under the dash and hit the trailer brakes to get the trailer back inline with the truck. The trailer sway did not move the rear of the truck around at all, not even one inch. Steady as a rock. Another thing to consider is weather or not you tow goose neck trailers. I installed 315's on my rig with just a two inch taller front spring. This puts the rear of the truck up about two inches as well, due to the taller tire. The neck of the trailer that I tow was close when the truck was stock. It is all the closer now. Just something to keep in mind.

LT.

3. strictlyv8

strictlyv8 Well-Known Member

I also run a 2' spacer on my truck. They have been on for the past 25k miles. I see no down side except for drive thrus and mud puddles.

4. Mr. Big Ram

Mr. Big Ram Well-Known Member

How much room do you have between the tires at load?

5. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

Loaded I have about an inch to an inch and a quarter loaded. If I had my tires inflated to the max pressure and had zero load I could almost get away without the spacers. This is true only on the Dodge. Fords and Chevys use a different back-space.

LT.

6. Dixie

Dixie Member

Media:
    Where can I find there spacers? Tried a yahoo and google searches but got garbage. Thanks much.gp

7. strictlyv8

Google trail sport 4x4

8. SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4

SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4 Well-Known Member

Pics of big tires on duallys if ya got 'em, please.

9. strictlyv8

This is my old truck. Gone for 5 months now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mattwehrly

mattwehrly Active Member

I had 2'' spacers on mine. Had to just to run 235/85/16. stupid chevy's. I pulled lots of loads over 20k lbs with no issues. Try performance wheel. make sure they are quality steel, torque them to spec and use tread locker.