2000 1500 changing gears 4.10 or 4.56?

Discussion in 'Dodge Gas Engine Rigs' started by Snellville-Dave, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Snellville-Dave

Snellville-Dave New Member

Currently I have a 2000 1500 quadcab 5.9 gas, 4x4, 3.55 gear, auto trans.with trans cooler and temp gauge, running stock tire size 245/16. Pulling a Outback 5th wheel -dry weight 6080lbs. I'll mainly be trying to go to Eastern Tennessee or Western North Carolina. I can get up most of the hills with out any trouble, but going north last year on I26 out of Ashville, NC heading to Johnson City, TN I got the trans. up to 260 and pulled over to let it cool before I made it to the top of the pass (can't remember the name of the Mountain - I'll call it a mountain, because the 18wheelers were having to gear down and go slow also). Trying to decide if I should go with a 4.10 or a 4.56 gear. Truck is only used to go to hunting camp and towing 5th wheel., so gas mileage isn't as important as pulling power. I live in the metro Atlanta, GA area.

2. mbryson

mbryson Well-Known Member

I don't have that truck so I'm not familiar with the powerband of the engine. I think a 4.10 would probably be perfect for what you're talking about while still keeping a semi-reasonable RPM at 65ish. With that tire (assuming that's a 245/70 R16) and 4.56 gears, I'm thinking you'll be in the 3200-3400 rpm range (probably pretty poor gas mileage but you're not concerned about that so much when towing) when your trans is at 1:1. 4.11 gears should put you closer to 3000 rpm

FWIW, I run 2500 RPM at 70 mph (4400 ft. elevation if that matters, probably a little) tranny in third gear (1:1) with 4.10 gears and 315/70 16 tires.

Good stuff to play with.....

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearratio.htm

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd go 4.10's. Since you can't really run in OD 4.56's would probably bring the RPM's up too high and make it use more gas than needed. 4.10's would probably be the best choice.

4. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

I have the same truck and I was thinking about using a 3.91 or so gear becuase most of my toys are at about 2000lbs, I am also at a 265 tire as well.

5. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    If you are only towing 2K I wouldn't even bother swapping gears.

6. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

That 2000lbs is the sleds we tow, the boat is about 2500-3000 and we also have a flatbed car trailer, that 2 place is gonna end up being a 4 place so the gear change will be more needed later than right now, but I am still interested.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    I wouldn't bother, costs roughly $1200 for a 4x4 at a good shop for gears, that could buy a LOT of gas, or help with a downpayment on a new rig.

8. opcruzer

opcruzer Member

I have found kits for about 400-500 and so I think your $1200 is a little high. If you have a buddy with the special tools then you can save on the install too.

9. RJF's Red Cummins

Media:
    Albums:
    Parts are even cheaper than that, most ring and pinion pairs only run a couple hundred bucks. The rest is in labor, since it takes a while to actually do the job.

Not only do you need special tools, like a dial indicator, but you need to know how to do the job and experience using the tools.

10. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

You might try a 3.73 I find it just fine decent mileage and better posibly for your power band.Check on the tools dial,gear puller see if you can rent them at your local auto parts store double check all your mesurents.

11. carguy9135

carguy9135 Well-Known Member

Media:
    What if it is just mild towing, and your doing bigger tires and want the gears for the off-road perspective of it? 3.91 or 4.10 or so on.....?

12. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Depends on what size tire you go with.