22.5 on lifted 95 Dodge 4x4

Discussion in 'Tires | Wheels' started by DWitcher, Jul 4, 2005.

1. DWitcher

DWitcher Well-Known Member

Ok so I've gotten a little out of control with my 95 "TowRig" as mods are concerned and with the new 4:10 gear and the heigth 36"-37" tires are gonna put me right with freeway/towing speed without the GearVendor so my problem is I'm REALLY tired of mudders wearing and the noise with the weight of this Rig.
    This is where the the load H tires on 22.5 wheels come into play. Front tires are $225.00ea and the rears are $150.00ea and the adapters are a Grand 1$$$. These tires would probably dry rot before they would wear out.
    This brings the question; What do you guys think 'bout this mod and does anyone here have experience with this wheel/tire combo.

2. joez

joez Well-Known Member

Media:
    I think 19.5's would be more practical, and look better IMHO. Plus you could still get tires that wear like iron for them, and they come in 8-lug patterns. Just my $.02.

3. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    I think 22.5's look very sily on pickups. They are far too large. I would go with 19.5's.

4. DWitcher

19.5's are my other option. The only thing is I already have the 22.5's.

5. SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4

SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4 Well-Known Member

i'd go 19.5....and you'll have to pretty much forget leaving the pavement. i dunno what all you've tried, but my terra grapplers seemed to wear well.

6. DWitcher

By no means do I plan on 4wheelin' my TowRig unless it's on to the sand dunes. Either tire combo do not air down well due to very little side wall flex.
    I've herd that if the tires are aired down too much that the wheel will slip inside the tire screwing up the tire balance. rotfl :doah:

7. SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  8. DWitcher

OMG I'm gonna go ahead and lay down and die now! That Crew Cab Chevy is the ****! I'm not worthy :doah: rotfl rotfl
    Thanks for jackin' up my whole plan.
    Now I,m gonna have to find a late C,Cab to build.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

9. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Just keep it under 65mph with those military Michelins unless you want to replace them every 10,000 miles. Michelin does make some pretty aggressive 19.5 tires. Im running the XDE M/S which is relatively aggressive for a 19.5, and still has good highway manners. Ive been through 6-8" or soft sticky clay with my 8100lbs truck, and it just walked through it like nothing. That was the most off-roading my tow rig will ever see, and it was enough to impress me.

10. DWitcher

What type of wear do they see at this speed. Do they seperate or is it because of a soft compound?

11. stallion85

stallion85 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Here's an F550 rollin on 22.5's, and it's being raffled off. Bad ASS!!!! :pimp:

RBP

12. DWitcher

Pretty insane. I'm look'in at 6 wheel stuff though.
    Those guys have a couple of those trucks on the cover of Diesel Power don't they?

13. FordCummins1

FordCummins1 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Tire wear is a complicated subject with these military tires. My father has been in the construction equipment/mining equipment business for over 30 years, and has made several great contacts at Michelin in this time. When I went to a 41" Michelin XZL on my last truck, we talked to several tire engineers about how well this tire would work on my application. The conclusion they came up with is that even though the weight of the vehicle could be safely supported on just ONE tire due to the weight rating, I would still have to adhere to the speed limit on the tire. It was explained to me that tire wear and speed have an exponential relationship. If 30mph wears a tire out at a factor of X, 60mph will wear a tire out at a rate much greater than just 2X. Therefore, while the tire would never "blow up" or seperate, it would wear down very quickly. The speed limit that Michelin comes up with on these tires relates weight and wear characteristics to a speed that is still useful in the intended application.

The tire I had (335/ 85 R20) had a speed rating of 62 mph, the fastest I ever drove was 65 mph and it seemed to wear very well. My truck weighed 8000 lbs empty, and I often towed up to 10k with it, and the tires always worked out very well. The rig rode better than any other lifted truck I had ever ridden in with tires of that size, but looking back on it, it wasnt the best idea to have it as a vehicle to run up and down the highway with. If you want a dedicated highway rig that can go 75, with no worries of tire wear, dont go with these tires. Go with a much less aggressive tread. Just my $.02

14. DWitcher

Thanks for the input waytogo

15. SoCal98TwelveValveAuto4x4

That thing would be cool if the wheelwells fit the tires and it wasn't bumping into the moon. And it wasn't blingified...

16. DWitcher

HA HA rotfl rotfl rotfl He said blingified rotfl rotfl waytogo. Otherwise known as a Disco Truck :pimp: