2500hd

Discussion in 'GM Duramax 6.6 (LB7)' started by MrZ71, Jun 5, 2007.

1. MrZ71

MrZ71 Member

hi all im looking to get a 2500hd crew cab auto is there anything that i should look for when checking out some trucks any problems to know about ??

2. micwzzrd

micwzzrd Member

What were you going too use the truck for. Camper, and how heavy, and how far will it be going loaded

3. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

GAS or DIESEL powered?

4. MrZ71

MrZ71 Member

was looking for a diesel

towing a jeep about 200 miles each way

5. micwzzrd

micwzzrd Member

the 3/4 either gas or diesel will pull this load with no problem. however the gas will get about 8 mpg towing while the diesel will be around 13 too 14 mpg towing. I travled with 2 brother-in-law's over 6000miles last summer. each towing 9200lb fifth's. The gas out west in the mountians was in 2nd gear @ 5000rpm going up hills. while mine would run up these hills at whatever speed I though was safe. I have a 03 duile diesel with a Everest 343L dry weight around 14000# this one has no problem with pulling. Know going down hill is another story. I hope this help's you make a wise chose good luck
    mike

6. alaskadave

alaskadave Member

tow rig fun

Yup, you can get some decent milage towing with the durimax if you do a few basic improvements. Tuner, opened intake and exaust, and keep yer foot out of it. Treat it like a farm tractor and set the cruise. I am geting 22 to 25 with 04gmc 25oohd duribaby. Towing lite small enclosed trailer with motorcycle and tools as I snowbird around the southwest this winter. I just returned to Phoenix from Paris Texas and saw four dollar plus fuel and the great milage I mentioned. I cruise at or around 70-75 and everyone is passing me!:stir: best of luck, I have had em all, and so far the best luck I have had is in the gmc durimax.

7. micwzzrd

micwzzrd Member

I would have too agree with alaskadave about the 3/4 chevy, with the diesel. It is one good truck for pulling. The 6 liter gas, well you might want too keep the tow weight down under 5000lb. That 6 liter in my opinion is a good truck for light work. Towing 5th, or anthing over 5000lb is a risk. I know 2 friend's that have had them. They both know have diesel's. The diesel I have would pull alright at 23000 gross weight, but with the tunner it did better. The 4in exhaust did nothing but make the truck LOADER. how this help's keep safe

Mike