6.0 or 7.3

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by powerstrokin, Feb 8, 2006.

1. powerstrokin

powerstrokin Member

which do you prefer in your ford truck are you a 7.3 man or a 6.0 man.

2. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

I personally like the 7.3L. I think the 7.3L is a much more reliable engine, but you can't beat the 6.0 for power. The 7.3 had a production run of 10 years and I hear the 6.0 is due to be replaced after 3.

3. powerstrokin

powerstrokin Member

Yes that is what i hear but what abouth all the problemw they are having with the 6.0 now we have a guy at work that has already put two new 6.0 in his 03 f-250 but have heard that they are a great pulling truck and might be as good or better as the cummins on the low end torque

waytogo burnout

4. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

The 6.0 is a sweet running engine, when it runs! With the extra cash you save from buying a used 7.3 you could easily make it run as well as a 6.0 and have the reliability. Now all you have to do is add any chip and a 4" exhaust to a 6.0 and it's gonna destroy almost any 7.3, but the 7.3 is a more solid choice.

5. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

I say 7.3 the 6.0 really istn worth it thats why I got the 5.4 I also found a guy who got worse mileage in his 6.0 then my 5.4,thats sick.

6. budkole

budkole Well-Known Member

Media:
    My choice is the 7.3. The 6.0 is too complicated. Best of all the 7.3 does not have an egr! Those things are engine killers. Imagine taking exhaust gases and soot and recirculating it back thru the engine, yuk!:eek: I prefer any diesel without an egr.

7. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    EGR is fine, it's been used on gas engines for over 30 years without problems and a number of the small diesels have EGR. The 24v Cummins ISB has EGR and lasts just as long and usually longer than a 12v version that doesn't have EGR.

I doubt if it matters, but if I was looking for a Ford I'd buy a 6.0 truck. I know too many people that have had zippo problems with them and they are fast....

8. budkole

Media:
    An EGR engine's life-span will largely revolve around lubrication. Not much new about that, but these engines are apt to be a lot more sensitive to when oil and filters are changed, and the type of oil used. Some EGR engine sumps are bigger, requiring as much as 25% more oil. Recirculating exhaust gases, as required by the EPA regulation, means it generates a lot more combustion soot in the crankcase oil than a non-EGR powerplant. Soot-laden oil will quickly wear down engine components. Plugged filters and oxidation that changes the viscosity of the oil will also accelerate soot formation. That combination could make EGR engines become a nightmare. Too complicated, Fords EGR related problems are high. Plugged EGR valves are becoming more and more common.

btw, gas engines burn a lot cleaner and dont compare to the diesel.

9. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

With all respect, Cummins hasn't had to go to EGR yet. The 2nd generation 24V as well as the 3rd generation 24valve common rail engines don't use EGR. That may well change with the soon-to-be-introduced engines that must meet the 1/1/07 emissions regulations.

Rusty

10. RJF's Red Cummins

RJF's Red Cummins TRC Staff Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
  11. budkole

Media:
    I didnt think dodges had egr's, but wasnt sure until now. Those dont apply to your trucks, you have to read good. Just because they were submitted for testing, does not mean that they were put into production for personal vehicles. For fllet purposes, maybe. I may be wrong, but...Do you know where your egr valve is on your truck if you have one? Im really interested to know whether or not the dodges have egrs or not. I always thought not, but then again, Ive been wrong before too.

The link you gave us for cummins doesnt apply to your truck either, but this one does..

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/ram_cummins600.jsp

http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/ram_reliability.jsp

furthermore, here is a quote from the cummins page about the dodge cummins..
    In-cylinder combustion and diesel oxidation catalyst solution requires no exhaust gas circulation components.

12. RustyJC

RustyJC Well-Known Member

13. powerstrokin

powerstrokin Member

I am going to say the 7.3 in the better engine because i have not had any major problems with mine

14. rocknbronco

Like the brakes,axles or hubs if you properly maintain your EGR it will not give you any hassle.

15. Subdriver

Subdriver Well-Known Member

I certainly don't know the answer to the 6.0 vs 7.3 question. I have an early 2003 6.0L which has 50,000 mostly trouble free miles on it. I did have an EGR problem that was fixed under warranty about 30,000 miles ago. I think the EGR was replaced.

As far as driveability, power, etc, I love my 6.0, but this is my first turbo diesel truck, so I really don't have much to give it a fair comparison.

Not sure what the average mpg is, but I just got 21.0 mpg on a 400 mile round trip from Norfolk to Danville VA and back this weekend.

16. rocknbronco

Yes that said my bother hasnt had any trouble with the 6.0 hes got and get good mileage out of it.

17. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

We have a neighbor with I think a 98 7.3, and he loves that truck. It was a proven engine, and the 6.0 turned out to be a hit or miss. I would go with the 7.3 based on everything I've heard and seen over the past few years. If you want a 6.0, you better get one while you can!! BTW, the V-8's dont have the low end of a Cummins engine. They are higher rpm engines, but any of them should get the job done.

18. budkole

Media:
    Im afraid im gonna have to disagree with you on that one. The 7.3 has a low end grunt like no other. stock to stock, the 7.3 especially the later 7.3 was about the same or better than the cummins, in the low end dept. Also, im speaking from my experiances, not paper claims

19. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

Sorry Budkole, I was referring to the 6.0 guys. I keep forgettin those 7.3 guys are around, and will be for a while. :doah: You might even outlast the 6.0!, but thats not a major accomplishment. rotfl

20. budkole

Media:
    Yep, us 7.3 guys are the forgotton bunch. lolrotfl Our engines are ancient, but we'll keep on truckin. ROTFLMAOrotfl