6.0 or 7.3

Discussion in 'Ford Powerstroke 6.0' started by powerstrokin, Feb 8, 2006.

1. J. Delaney

J. Delaney Well-Known Member

I've heard of 6.0Ls having problems with the turbos. The variable vane corrodes or gets covered in soot and causes the turbo to malfunction. I have also heard of several trucks having head gasket problems. And I remember seeing several brand new trucks right off of the convoy with oil leaks.

The 7.3L has had it's share of growing pains, but after 10 years of production the manufacturer has them mostly sorted. That being said, Ford sells (correct me if I'm wrong) nearly 250,000 diesel powered Fseries trucks a year. That's an awful lot of rigs going down the road and I'm sure that the majority of those trucks will not have any problems. It's the lemons that we all hear about. But I'd still buy a 7.3L over a 6.0L.

2. Imdubious

Imdubious Member

My father owns a 7.3 and I loved driving it. His truck is the reason I bought mine. But I would not trade my 6.0 for the 7.3. I will say the 7.3 power stroke is one good motor. I believe it is what stated the Diesel wars.It had loads of off the line pulling power and his stock with the 4.10 would out pull any stock 5.9 of that day. As far as pulling I like the 05+ 6.0l they pull much better and the ride is in a whole new class.
    P.S. I hope the new engines from ford will take the best of both and walk all over everything.

3. Beeram305

Beeram305 Well-Known Member

I dunno if Ford's answer will be able to top the 6.7 Cummins arriving soon. Sounds like Ford and GM are gonna be in a hole, around 650 torque vs. 750 from the I-6.

By the way, welcome to the site!

4. DMAXRIG

DMAXRIG Well-Known Member

Im not a Ford guy, but if I had to choose, it would be the 7.3 without question. Just the thought of a diesel fresh on the market, and their already pulling it would scare me. I dont really like the high RPM the run, and the poor mileage. But, if we all like the same thing, wouldnt be much fun!!!waytogo

5. CATpower

CATpower Member

some of you guys are ridiculous,you read to much,ive got 8 good friends with either type of truck from 96 to 2005,chevy,dodge,ford,they are all good you just have to know how to take care of them just like anything else you will have problems with either one,JUST remember my friend told me dodge gave the 8yr/100,000 for a big reason !

6. strai8up

strai8up Well-Known Member

Rjf

Does your cummins have the egr on it ? Is it possable that it is just a California thing till new emission standards arrive in 07 nationwide