6.5 Injection Pump Replacement

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by Heavydutyharley, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Heavydutyharley

Heavydutyharley Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever changed one of these out themselves? I have built a couple of street rods before and an engine or two. Is the toughest part the timing? Is the timing set as it is being installed or adjusted after installation? It quit on me while towing this past weekend. No fun being stopped on the side of the interstate with family while towing a 33 ft. fifth wheel camper. :mad:
    I am considering doing this myself, to save money. Someone please advise.

HD

2. k5-1402

k5-1402 Member

never changed one out, but are you sure its the mechanical part of the pump. Its usually the pmd. (the module on the side of the pump) their pretty easy to change out and relocate at the same time so it doesnt get so hot.

3. sshewins

sshewins Well-Known Member

Hi

I have only changed one and it was on a 6.2, but as they are basically the same, it ain't no big deal. At least if you have some mech skills. You have to take off intake, then remove inj lines from inj's. Gotta take off the oil filler tube (opposite side of front cover) so you can access 3 bolts that need to come off, but there is a tab that must be marked so re-installation is WAY easier.

Go get a manual from haynes or something (not truck man. but the diesel engine one) as it will be VERY benificial. All in all its not very difficult, but it will take about a day to do. Make sure you have all gaskets for re assembly before hand, so you're not hosed later in the day when all stores are closed - don't ask how I know

Aside from that, check for PMD failure first. Hope this helps

Scott

4. Heavydutyharley

Heavydutyharley Well-Known Member

6.5 Replacement.

The PMD has been remotely located away from the heat. I don't know how to test the PMD, but I don't think that is what it is.
    I honestly think the shaft broke in the pump. I heard something snap then the truck lost all power. I coasted to a stop and actually got it started twice, but it would only run when the accelerator was deprssed. The second you let up it would shut right off. After getting it started those two time it hasn't hit a lick since. I thought I would go out and buy a scan tool to see if the OBD II can pick up anything.
    I appreciate your input.