6.7 Cummins 350hp 650Ft/lbs

Discussion in 'Dodge 3rd Gen Cummins 6.7 (24v)' started by CoastalDav, Sep 10, 2006.

1. rocknbronco

rocknbronco Well-Known Member

Thats figures our economy is in a slump and we are only going to head deeper in the next four to five years depending on whos economic stratagy we follow or belive.I know my friend in Dayton,Tn is in a slump at Lay Z Boy due to some wanting to go Union and a friend in Pascagulla,Miss is gonna have a strike in March over in the shipyards I would just work and make some money if I were both of them of course I have been lean on money myself here lately so maybe thats just my veiw.

2. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

i hear ya housing market sucks rite now too. were laid off but i was ready for that i hate workin during the winter. well hit it again in march sometime.

3. rocknbronco

Yeah I ma glad I found a job locally that a pays what I was looking to go out of town for.

4. whiterocket5.9

whiterocket5.9 Well-Known Member

took my truck into the dealership today, they have no new 6.7's as of yet i wsa talking to one of the mechanics there he said he hasnt even seen one in person yet...no training yet and the way he was talkin he wasnt planning on seeing them any time in the near future...it was almost liek i knew more about it than he did....thats a good thing ..i think lol

5. gsbrockman

gsbrockman Member

Media:
  6. rocknbronco

You may very well have know I know abit more on certain subjects that my friends whom works at dealerships..:doah:

7. John T Lippold

John T Lippold Member

Hey guy's,
    I do agree about adding all that crap on the 6.7,but here is the caviot to that,Have any of you looked ubder the hood of a late model ford or chevy V8 deisel :doah:.I worked @ a dodge dealer as a truck technician for a while and worked on plenty 98' 5.9 with egr.Really no big deal.I just purchased a 07.5-6.7-6 speed g-56.And can say with that the truck is awsome.One thing to remember the auto's will have some slip through the torque converter.Lets face the fact that the torque converter is a viscous coupler.That is maybe why the output numbers are different:stir: .I have pulled my 24' travel trailer with all the trimmings,dog,fam,bikes,boat and all the rest of stuff.I did rough calculation and came up with about 15.5k rolling down the road.I pulled some real good grades in the california sierras in sixth gear a/c cranked,2,000 rpm passing people like they were tied to a tree,and getting 15.9mpg.I know there guys that pull a lot more and like there 5.9's.That being said theres my 25 cents worth,

See yah on the flip side
    JOHN T. LIPPOLD
    AKA 6.7HVN

8. cm cows

cm cows Well-Known Member

Media:
    this has probaly been asked before but what can that egr and stuff be takin off or will it absolutly screw up the computer and stuff

9. John T Lippold

John T Lippold Member

Egr Removal

HEY GUYS,
    No ! do not remove any thing,and this is the reason why.The egr has a paramount function.It reintroduces unburned fuel into the cylinders,therefore it lowers cylinder temperature and the result is lower EGT's.All of the fuel mapping created in the software is built around all related sensors working at specified criteria IE..load,rpm,throttle position etc.The real reason for this is to also reburn all excess fuel so that when it hits the cat,the cat and soot burner can work @ optimum efficiency for long term cat and soot burner life.One last thing, the computer is looking for and egr opening at specified times,Therfore if it does not see egr open it will turn your MIL:stir: .It also reduces Nox in the cylinders.Nox is the true indicater of cylinder temperature.The higher the NOX the higher the cylinder temp.and inversely the opposite.
    10-4 good buddy
    John T Lippold
    AKA-6.7hvn

10. 2007CUMMINZ

2007CUMMINZ Well-Known Member

Milage and reliability of 6.7L

I have been getting 9-11mpg when towing and maybe 13 on the road. I have problems with my overhead with service engine message. Since replacing overhead and doing most recent flash for DPF/performance (rev.B) my overhead is much more active and while on the road yesterday the overhead would reach as high as 19.6... I would not touch the EGR or DPF for a million bucks.

11. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

New Diesel Power tested a big red quad cab dually 4X4 with the Aisin auto and tow haul feature. They dyno'd it at 269hp and 473ft.lbs at the rear wheels, much better than the 5.9 but still slower by a full second in the 1/4 mile than the Duramax and Powerstroke. I don't care though; the Cummins will still outpull and outlast them.:D

The auto will keep the motor below 2000rpms at up to 75mph which really helps mileage. They averaged 17mpg @75mph, very impressive. My truck has the G56 which has to run under 65 to stay at 2000 or below. My overhead shows 23-24mpg at 65 and runs 2100rpms there. That's a high number with my caveman method of calculating showing 20-21. My mileage really drops if I run 70.

12. MrTow

MrTow Well-Known Member

The 6.7 has a water cooled turbo, no thanks. RJF

What's the difference between water cooled and air cooled?

13. John T Lippold

John T Lippold Member

Turbo Cooling

The stock turbo on 07 and back 5.9's is actually cooled by oil,Hence the need for engine run after driving for X-amount of time of driving under different circumctances,ie towing,freeway and around town.The oil pulls heat away from turbo impeller shaft bearings and a meriod of other internal engine components.I believe the 6.7's are both coolant and oil cooled.Hope the sheds some lightwaytogo

JOHN T. LIPPOLD
    AKA-6.7 HVN

14. mister3

mister3 Member

oil cooled turbo: turbo uses oil only for lubrication and cooling

oil and water cooled turbo: uses oil mainly for lubrication and the engine coolant to keep the CHRA cooler.

generally oil/water cooled turbos last much longer VS oil cooled only.