98 6.5TD Burb

Discussion in 'GM Diesel 6.5' started by Mighty Mouse, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse New Member

I am heading out to go look at one. Anything I should be really looking at? It has 104k on it and seems to be a decent deal at $3500. The price is cheap because it is a close friend of mine who is a dealer and he is giving it to me if I want it for about what he has in it.waytogo

2. Rob Knoell

Rob Knoell Well-Known Member

My father had a 92 Chevy dually with the 6.5 Diesel in it. I think that he ended up going through a trubo but that was at 140,000 miles I think. My grand father had one and ended up putting about 200,000 trouble free miles on his before he ended up trading it for a newer truck.

LT.

3. Woods

Woods Well-Known Member

Head gaskets are easily blown if you get it hot, and then the heads crack shorty after. If you drive it and the water is blowing out of the rad overflow bottle, likely a blow head gasket. Plan on a set of rem heads/bolts and gaskets $1400. The 98's should have the bigger water pump and dual thermostats. I highly suggest changing the stats out to 180 units ASAP to help avoid overheating it. Plan on moving the PMS module off the engine to fenderwell. There like just under $300 to replace, if they get too hot an fry. The fuel lift pumps can fail, and the truck will seem to run fine, but will be down somewhat on power and some times hard to start, make sure its running. Its on the drivers side frame rail and were $70 last time I checked. Good luck! waytogo

4. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse New Member

I started it up and it ran fine. I like it and I am considering buying it. Everything is clean and dry.

5. h2omelon

h2omelon Member

I just bought a 97 with 110,000 miles on it and I love it.waytogo

Last edited: May 10, 2009